Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops Angie’s List

• Posted by davesgarage on May 14, 2014 at 8:36 am

I’ve been inundated by e-mails and phone calls from Angie’
    List sale reps.  I finally gave in and
    spent a half hour on the phone with a rep that was pretty civil, and willing to
    e-mail me a packet with further information. 
    I do have several referrals there, but they can’t be viewed unless I’m a
    paying member.  Anyone here have
    experience with their program?

Thanks.

wendydavid replied 7 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Tom

May 15, 2014 at 5:50 am

It seems to be highly dependent on where you are. I know of a large left coast shop that gets over half of their new customers from it. We get the occasional customer from it. The costs for the shop are often negotiable. 

• Bob Waeiss

May 19, 2014 at 11:12 am

If your local Angie’s List works the same way as the one in Indianapolis the reports can be viewed by any Angie’s List member… some of your customers perhaps.  You do not have to pay as a service provider.  The reviews are posted by members that have used a any service provider.  Not all reviews are positive, hence the report card.  I am a member and use Angie’s List if I need a roofer, plumber, painter, etc.  As a member I can post a review of any service provider I have used.  It is very close to “word of mouth” advertising, which is our biggest source of loyal customers.  My shop has enough positive reviews we have received the Super Service award for the past several years.   Their members tend fit our customer profile so I have purchased some advertising with them to take advantage of email marketing and ad placement when a member is looking for auto repair on Angie’s List.  Angie’s List has been a consistent source of new loyal customers for us.  I will be glad to answer any questions regarding our experience with Angie’s List.  Integrity Automotive. 317-573-0107

• pbrennan

October 28, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I’ve heard mixed reviews about Angie’s List for service companies. I think the general rule of thumb is this: If you focus on it, you can make it successful (like anything else). 

If you have some money in the budget or you can afford to test it, everything is worth testing. Just make sure you educate yourself about it first, and put some systems in place to make it successful. If it’s really true that you can get a ton of referral from it, the cost per lead is probably really low!
    I’m guessing it’s 500% better than Yelp’s paid programs, though. 😉
  • Ty

October 29, 2015 at 10:24 am

Been on the list since it started in the late 90s. Has been a good experience and good source of new customers. Have had the super service award the last 8 years. I spend about $2000 per year on advertising which helps put my shop at the top of the list instead of buried 5 pages deep.I say if your already on the list with good ratings, Spend a few bucks and promote your shop.

• john boronczyk

November 6, 2015 at 3:09 pm

We have been contacted several times from Angie’s list about becoming a preferred shop – basically paying to be seen. I thought their job was to find quality businesses for their paying subscribers to use? Plus people can post reviews about your business without ever doing business with you. They should certify the customer before they can post a review, We couldn’t justify spending the money . Work on getting google reviews or hook up with a company to post certified reviews.  Just a thought .  

• Alan Ollie

November 11, 2015 at 9:48 pm

UPDATE 116-15 From yelp we get 15 new customers per month avg south Fl cost about 450 a month. Good buy. VIP make sure customers checkin before work starts to get $15 off .Some extortions on Yelp we just make sure we exceed expectations  .  Angie’s list $300 per month then it stunk 1-2 customers a month ,Then they cut the price in 1/2 i am going to give it a try again.

• pbrennan

November 13, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Ty – Do they do any type of advertising tracking? Do you track phone calls specifically from Angie’s list? My guess is that these customers, since they are pickier & probably more educated, have higher average RO’s & will spread the word to more people if they are satisfied.

• whitney

December 10, 2015 at 10:38 pm

I get people sitting on the side of the road and in line at AutoZone for nothing.

• wendydavid

August 31, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I agree with Vdepot above.  

Some of my auto repair shop clients have invested with Angie’s List for many years. But starting this year we are stopping.
    They did work really well for a transmission shop.  But since they’ve changed their platform, none of my clients have gotten any results at all.  
    Angies List historically has not offered any conversion or activity tracking.  Maybe they do now but I have yet to see it.    Angie’s List is a huge thumbs down for auto repair shop marketing until things change. 
    If you are investing in online advertising for your auto shop, my recommendations in order of priority are:
    Google Adwords
    RepairPal
    Yelp (it depends).