Home » Forums » Everything Else » Who looks up labor times for estimates?

Home Forums Everything Else Who looks up labor times for estimates?

• Tom

July 28, 2014 at 3:52 pm

The first time a job is performed, normally the SA looks it up (both were techs). We encourage the techs to do so, but old habits are hard to break (let SA do it). Once done if the time is way off the labor is adjusted when the job is saved (almost all jobs are saved, vehicle specific). Next time there is no time look up – the tech or SA just grab the saved job. 

• russmccloud

August 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

The most qualified individuals to turn in labor times are the techs. If the S/A does not agree with the time turned in, the tech and S/A discuss it and reach an agreement or understanding of why the time has been bid as it has. The S/A’s do spot check and management takes action if a tech is being unreasonable (this has not happened in recent memory).

Rarely does it reach management’s level to negotiate. The very few times there has been an issue of too many conflicts or too much time turned in by one tech it is easily resolved by telling that tech that for thirty days the S/A will sell ONLY straight book time if it happens again. Works 100% of the time.

Hope that helps…

🙂

• bilmac

August 12, 2014 at 1:49 pm

As Owner and shop Foreman , I look up labour times. I’ve been a tech for 48 years and owner for 20. I still spend part of the day in the shop. If it’s a job I am not familiar with the tech is consulted. If no one is familiar we use real time labour guide. If real time proved to be out to lunch the tech is paid a negotiated time and a note is put on file for next time the model vehicle comes in. We to save all jobs on computer which helps us quickly do up quotes.

• Larry Moore

August 12, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I totally agree with Russel.  Only the technician has actually looked at the car and knows what is involved.  We are not working on new cars so many times we need to be aware of things that have occurred or been done to the vehicle which will require more time.
    I recommend to my QuickTrac users that the technicians do the estimating of time, we have found that the bottom line usually increases about 10% when that happens.  The technician will always want to be sure they get enough time for the job, especially if they are on sometime of incentive pay based on production.  For new technicians we ask them to print out the labor times and attach them to the estimate for the first week, that way the SA, who is usually the bottleneck in the shop, does not need to waste time doing that.  We don’t require they use the “book time” but if it is different we want to know why.
    We tell our techs that if we come and question them about a time, which we do on occasion, it is because we need to be sold so that we can sell the customer.  If the SA is sold they will sell it to the customer!

• hollytire

August 18, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Tom,

How exactly are the jobs saved? Also, what management system are you using. This would be a big time saver.

• Tom

August 18, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Allan, the method depends on the management software, however vehicle specific jobs can be saved in almost all software. Some are designed to do it very quickly and others you have to be a bit creative. Call or email me if you want to get into more detail.