Home » Forums » Equipment And Tools » VIN information bar code scanner

Home Forums Equipment And Tools VIN information bar code scanner

• VIN information bar code scanner

Posted by joemhess on March 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Just wondering if any shop mangement software out there has is using a barcode scanner to read vin info and add it to RO’s. I bleve it would save my service writers alot of time and get a lot more accurate info. I acually found a app for my android that scans the vin info and gives you alot of info on the car. It seames like mitchell, protractor or some one would have these capibilitys

jaysautorepair replied 13 years ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jtaylor8751

March 29, 2011 at 12:33 am

check out ro writer i think they may have it

• rowriter-rick

March 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hi Joe- I’ve implemented bar coded vin scanning with a number of my clients. (I sell and install R.O. Writer Software.)

The good news is that the technology is now very affordable and the scanners are sufficiently flexible that you can use them for more than scanning vins. Adding parts to work orders and doing a physical inventory of your stock room is also possible. Contact me if you would like to know more.

Kind Regards-Rick Baker

• Bob Bearsch, Jr.

March 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Hi. Rowriter has this capability. It was heavily promoted; enough so that I invested over $10000 in Dolphin handheld scanners. The system worked great until I was told that Rowriter is no longer supporting the mobile capability. It continues to work but compatibility is no longer guaranteed in future versions of Windows. Another words, it will work until it no longer works and then your out of luck. Very disappointed

• mduranty

April 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Have you looked at our company…Automotive Solutions (www.automotivesol.com). We use a PDA with VIN scanner that also has a variety of inspections that you can add photos to. This also takes the information electronically so you can copy and paste into yoru current shop management software as well as email inspection reports to your customers.

• jaysautorepair

April 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Napa Tracs has a Vin code reader that will scan the VIN into the RO, if you are using their barcode reader.