Home » Forums » Employees » Two questions for shop owners

Home Forums Employees Two questions for shop owners

• Two questions for shop owners

Posted by Tom on May 26, 2013 at 7:23 am

1: Why would I want to come and work at your shop?

2: Why would I NOT want to come and work at your shop?
    krussell replied 10 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • krussell

May 28, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Interesting question, Tom.  Guess you are having some problems with attracting good help (?) or perhaps you are doing what a good shop owner would do, ask such questions to be sure you are running your shop well.

The biggest turn-off to me, as a shop owner, is to go to another shop and see a MESS.  Things not neat and orderly, dirty floors, trash cans running over, tool boxes all askew and work benches untidy.  I understand, while a job is going on, and at the moment, there may be things out and some mess, but when you just KNOW the place is a mess and has been that way forever, it is a real problem to me.
    I keep my place cleaner than my house, I suppose.  First-view impressions are still most important to both a customer and a potential employee.  I know, from 40 year’s experience, the wrenches moan and groan about sweeping up their mess and keeping things tidy, but I notice we get better (not more, just better) work out of a clean shop.  The argument is always a busy shop is a messy shop and that may be true for some but not for me.  All my work is 100% or I won’t do the job.  My customer’s count on knowing that is the case.  Keeping the place organized and neat has always lead to better results, and better wrenches too.
    Good luck to you
    Ken Russell
    British Automotive, Ken Russell Restorations
    Ranchita, CA