Home » Forums » Parts and Tire related topics » Tip #95 Did You Get Paid For That Defective Part? – (Sample Tip from Premium Member Area)

Home Forums Parts and Tire related topics Tip #95 Did You Get Paid For That Defective Part? – (Sample Tip from Premium Member Area)

• Tip #95 Did You Get Paid For That Defective Part? – (Sample Tip from Premium Member Area)

Posted by Site Administrator on June 28, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Too often, the answer is no. Here are some ideas that should help. 1: When the part to replace a defective one arrives, immediately place a defective (or warranty) sticker on the box so everyone in the shop knows to put the old part back in the box and save it. 2: Put all defective parts in a specifically labeled location (a large plastic bin works well). 3: Create files for each vendor that contain the necessary claim forms before a problem occurs. 4: When a parts vendor picks up a defective part, place a copy of the receipt in those same files until you get paid. 5: Assign the job of checking both the bin of defective parts and the appropriate files weekly and handle them as needed.

Tom Piippo replied 7 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Tom Piippo

July 13, 2016 at 7:17 am

I usually don’t have a problem with local vendors with delivery service. We have a good face to face relationship and the return of defective parts and labor claims is not an issue. I have developed check charts of new and defective parts returned and the credit applied.

My problem in this field is getting the proper credit from out of town vendors. Because of our location, many parts need to be delivered via UPS. When a defective part is replaced and the old one returned, there are three shipping charges involved. Then there is the tracking and confirmation of getting credit on the ‘alleged’ defective part. Depending on the vendor/ dealership, this could take months and becomes a back office problem of tracking the defects. We try to make contact every week to be sure the right person takes care of the credit. I find all too often the guy checking in the parts does not know what to do with returns. That’s when the dealership staffing problem becomes my problem:-(