Home » Forums » Shop Design & Efficiency » Shop layout consultation in the Houston area

Home Forums Shop Design & Efficiency Shop layout consultation in the Houston area

• Shop layout consultation in the Houston area

Posted by Michael Keith on November 10, 2020 at 12:53 pm

I will soon be laying out a new shop from scratch, which is something I’ve never done before.  Is there someone in the Houston area with whom I can consult about this?  I’d like to make sure the layout is as efficient as possible.

Mark Hartmann replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Tom

November 11, 2020 at 10:31 am

You will probably get some of the best advice from the members here.

Do you have some specific questions?

I’ll be happy to comment where I can!

One general comment is that the ratio of NON shop square feet to shop square feet often leaves the shop with insufficient NON shop square feet. Customer, office, storage, parts, lunch, training, etc. are some examples of areas that are often missing or too small.

• Mark Hartmann

November 19, 2020 at 11:52 am

There is so much to say about proper shop layout. I purchased an existing business and building 10 years ago located in the Midwest and with 14 bays and 14 overhead doors you need a good door maintenance & repair company on call. Fewer doors mean fewer headaches.

Minimize flooor drains because they catch all the debris and must be cleaned regularly. I am concerned about an accidental oil or antifreeze spill in the shop making its way to the nearest floor drain.

Quick service bays should be located closest to the office because all the back and forth adds up to wasted steps. Locate incoming/outgoing parts shelves near a man door so vendors stay out of the way. I have an enclosed detatched shed placed out of the way to collect scrap tires and scrap metal.

Each bay needs its own air hose and light reel drop from the ceiling. Metal cabinets with doors as needed keep supplies clean and neat. Open shelves are dirty. Minimize work benches, they are a catch-all and dirty. A floor-level alignment rack is a great idea too, worth the investment.

Good luck and hope to hear from the other members.

Mark