Home » Forums » Everything Else » Scary times

Home Forums Everything Else Scary times

• Scary times

Posted by Alan Ollie on October 10, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I just had the 2 worst weeks in years.It seems like we have a week or two of good car count and a week of really low car count ?

It is very up and down. Is anyone else feeling this.

Linc replied 12 years, 5 months ago 9 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • sutton32-aol-com

October 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

We have been steady, not breaking any records but good. Ollie keep on it, you are doing all the right things. I’ve been following you and your shop looks like you can get thru this. Good luck.

• Gary Keyes AMAM

October 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm

We have been about the same, two weeks steady business and then 2-3 weeks of very slow business. This has been going on here for about 4-5 months now.

• schoenplaceauto

October 19, 2011 at 3:25 pm

It’s been up and down for quite some time. Evertime things pick up and I start feeling more upbeat, things slow down again. The economy sucks, the press keeps scaring people whenever they start feeling better about things, and people are hanging on to their money. We have to promote, network, and just keep working hard at bringing traffic in. Word of mouth and a great reputation seem to be the best way to make it thru these hard times.

• prairietire

October 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Morning,

You are not the only one. We do need to be optimistic but I hope we don’t have to wait too long. Just keep the smile on your face.

• Tom Piippo

October 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I wouldn’t say ‘scary’, but business certainly has been different lately! The pitches, promotions, and the parts you sold last year just might NOT work this year. The long term customers you’ve had for years are now shopping around, we are no longer getting ALL of their business, (no matter what they tell you). Our new customers are no longer ‘wowed’ by the service that always used to ‘wow’ the new customers with. It’s hard to try to keep up and develope a better widget. We are always trying ‘different’ stuff to keep the bays full, and keep new people coming in the door. Internet marketing is beginning to look more usefull, but like any new tool, I have to play around with it for a while before I feel comfortable with it.

The last 2 weeks? I closed and took a road trip to Orlando for ASA’s ASRW. Had no income, but incurred no shop expences either.

• sanfordsauto

October 19, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Ollie,

Your shop & website rocks! It seems from what i have read a looked

over your website you really are the place. It is the economy people

are not spending money unless they have to!. I have a one man band now

and have just been hanging on for 10 years. Have been in business since

87. Treat your customers right & fair everything will turn around soon

when the economy picks up.

Your reputation & word of mouth should keep you going as long as you

don’t give away the farm & you watch your bottom line.

Mike Sanford

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    October 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Not sure I’d say SCARY – but business here is steady and it seems busy but sales this year are off a full 3% for no good reason. VERY ANNOYING! I agree with the “hang in there” chorus, and also with the idea that it is a bit harder to get customers to part with money today than it was five years ago. And yet – no one seems to want to buy a new car (and take on the payments!) and the used car market is tough right now. Strange Times Indeed…

• Alan Ollie

October 19, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Update 10-19-11 It looks like it is getting better .The customers are shopping for sure.We have been calling lots of customers on the phone to schedule recommended work that has not been done. The first thing people ask is how much does it cost. We never quote over the phone. But we have to make exceptions now. I find if you give a quote many people shop the price and call back and try to work a DEAL.

Our reply is compare the same exact service and parts brand we are will be very competitive and will get the job done correct.

• Alan Ollie

October 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm

10-28 update getting better had the best week in months . marketing 24-7 Ollie

• Linc

November 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm

sales gross dollars have gone up however, parts GP% down, discounts to sales up 1 %, total GP same. working harder to keep avg ticket $ even. Advise….stay the course and do continue the procedures which made you successful before, concentrate on fixing the customer ( their needs ) and continue to encourage your internal customers ie. the employees with an upbeat leadership attitude and SMILE !!