Home » Forums » Employees » One New Tech Coming in for Every 5 Leaving the Industry

Home Forums Employees One New Tech Coming in for Every 5 Leaving the Industry

• One New Tech Coming in for Every 5 Leaving the Industry

Posted by Tom on May 3, 2016 at 2:56 pm

This “fact” seems to be making the rounds lately.

“One new tech coming in for every 5 leaving the industry.”

Myth or reality – does anyone have the source?
    And, regardless of the source, does this sound about right? Way off? Other?
    Thanks,
    #autotechshortage
    Bobby Likis replied 7 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Bobby Likis

May 4, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Great question.  I do not have any facts or data to correctly answer, but am certain just by the nature of younger generation individuals who use Social Media and their iThings to communicate that they are not people who love cars as we did when I grew up.  I do have information re more Americans (of all ages) spurning licenses. in 1983, 87% of 19-year-olds had their licenses, but that number dropped to 69% 30 years later.  I can also state that our younger Car Clinic Service customers don’t really care about knowing what’s wrong with their cars…more so how little can we spend to get it back on the road.  They do appear to be concerned with safety items, which is a positive attitude.  As for our profession, no doubt the OEMs and dealers are selling vehicles with maintenance attached in order to retain their new car buyers.  I’ve had at least 5 of our service customers who bought new cars come in to tell me they apologize saying they would see me after their new cars were out of the warranty period.  This should worry me, but doesn’t.  My team and I know that dealers’ service personnel will drive these newfound customers away with their easy-come-easy-go attitude.  And we’ll be there to care for them. 

• Carm Capriotto

May 4, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I’m watching this discussion and very interested in the number also.

• Bobby Likis

May 9, 2016 at 8:57 am

Only two comments here…after several days exposure…really?  I imagine there would have been many more had the subject been wrapped around some SEMA show car topic that included modified vehicles or ones with loud audio blaring rap songs.  I know of no young people entering the automotive service profession other than those attracted by Speed TV or Velocity and they don’t serve the typical American car owner…consumer.  Where are all the sincere car guys who love to solve problems and really have connections to automobiles.  I attended a NARTSH (National Association Radio Talk Show Host) where Larry King made a statement when he was asked to give a speech.  He was quite funny and told several stories but his main topic as agreed to by his invitation we to present the future of the Merchant Marine’s future. After some 45 minutes on stage and with everyone rolling in their seats with laughter from his wild tales of the Mafia in Miami..he darted off stage and got in his car to leave.  The President of the local MM Chapter ran out after him and asked why he never addressed the future of the MM during his speech to which he answered.  “That’s because there ain’t no future to the MM”  then drove off.  I feel the same way about repair shop profession.  Don’t shoot the messenger. 

• Site Administrator

Administrator
    May 9, 2016 at 10:47 am

Good points, Bobby.

It is worth nothing that the current survey on the home page asks members what are the biggest issues they face today. We offered them 11 choices. 

Over 70% selected finding good employees. No other issues made 50%. 
    The way this is headed, finding professional car repair and getting it done promptly is going to become very difficult – which also means very expensive. 
  • Bobby Likis

May 9, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Agreed!  For those who have invested a lifetime in the business, the end result will be extrication from the business.  This weekend I approached a smart younger shop owner who operates a very successful local area BMW repair shop and suggested several shop owners might reach an agreement to specialize in BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche lines.  He shifted gears immediately saying the local car count could not meet the demands of such a specialty group.  Unfortunately I had to agree.  Yet he gave me the distinct impression (and said so in several statements during our discussion) that he believed that niche marketing will ultimately become the future of shop operations.  By that time, I’ll be on the Amalfi Coast in Italy.  Consumers will face a rude awakening.  We already qualify our clients.  We offer no loss-leaders…we spend more face time with our customers than any shop I know of including my three very successful friends who own shops in Dallas and GA. Our car count is roughly 200/mth and RO average somewhere between $465 – $590.  When we open a hood, we own that job so we may as well get paid for our efforts.  Thank you for this site.  I hope more shop owners will realize the opportunity your team provides.