Home » Forums » Employees » New position as shop foreman

Home Forums Employees New position as shop foreman

• New position as shop foreman

Posted by turcotte5750 on December 29, 2016 at 2:59 am

Hey guys, I recently took position as shop foreman. Old foreman was a flat rater with no drive he had a “I don’t get paid to do that” attitude. So I had enough of just showing up and watching this barely functioning shop after about 8 months of being employed. What would your opinion of the standard responsibilities of foreman be. My manager has no experience in management, she was a service writer at a dealership and claims to have 20yrs experience which is doubtful based upon observation by mysel and others. At times I feel my drive to provide proper service and make this shop profitable sometimes causes me to step the bounds of this new position.

David Roman replied 7 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jbrenn77

January 3, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Michael,

Sounds like there are a few things going on here…  First, you need a job description.  Also it sounds like you have a service manager who’s above you and would need to have input?  My suggestion would be to talk to your manager and ask her to come up with a list of added responsibilities for you to take on and hold yourself accountable to.  If she really does have no idea, than I’d say ask if it’s OK to write your own and present that to her for review.  Every shop has it’s own unique way of doing things and so I don’t think there’s a generic one size fits all approach to a shop foreman job description but I would start with a basic list of things you know you can do to help the company, who you report to, who reports to you, and the results you are going to be responsible for (what management can hold you accountable to).  If you need help email me and I can provide some ideas.  
  • David Roman

January 3, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Get a job description and list of responsibilities from the owner or manager (whoever gave you the position).

Work with them to add additional desired responsibilities.
    Have a meeting with the entire staff to outline who will be reporting and your expectations. Remember, they must align with your superior. 
    This should clear up any vaguity in your responsibilities.