Home » Forums » Training – Webinars, Podcasts, Videos, Events » Hybrid Cars … Do you work on them? If no, why not?

Home Forums Training – Webinars, Podcasts, Videos, Events Hybrid Cars … Do you work on them? If no, why not?

• Tom

December 24, 2013 at 10:24 am

I can think of several reasons, but one that jumps out is how many of the dealers have convinced the people who bought them that if they take it anywhere else other than a dealer, they “will surely die”.

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but I have talked to a number of folks who are clearly terrified of taking it anywhere other than where they bought it for fear of the car being severely damaged by non factory trained techs.
  • craigkuipers

January 2, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Back in 2006 we bought a salvage Pruis; actual 2 and made one car out of them. Took classes with Craig the hybride guy. He even used our car for a class, So i figure we have done our studying, I did some homework.We have factory toyota stuff and factory ford stuff. We put out fliers invested 2 years into radio and paper advertising. Big disapiontment, today almost 7 years later we have 13 hybrid car owners.

• Philip Fournier

January 2, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Craig, where is your shop?  I would agree that your results have been very disappointing, but if you are in an area with a very low population of hybrid vehicles, it might just be the way it is.  I have had many disappointments over the years in trying to diversify, as I have watched improved vehicle quality erode away at my car counts.  Hybrids have been the one area where I have had mild success.  I wish I could say it was overwhelming but that would be an exaggeration.  However, I have done well enough to get a name of having some expertise by advertising on my website and on Ebay.  I will say though that the hybrid population in my home town is too small to give me much business beyond service work. Most of my repairs of transaxles, battery replacements, and other significant work has come from out of town.  The trouble with that is those are one time customers, for the most part, and that is not a great way to build your business.  But right now, I’ll take what I can get.