Home » Forums » Employees » How in the world are we supposed train this “new generation”???

Home Forums Employees How in the world are we supposed train this “new generation”???

• How in the world are we supposed train this “new generation”???

Posted by Tom on December 1, 2013 at 9:58 am

More specifically, how are we supposed to train the ones (seems to be most of them) who have never learned basic language and math skills?

Most of them are obviously intelligent, but have been inadequately taught to put it mildly.

What on earth did they do all day in school for twelve plus years? 
    Adding and subtracting without a calculator is a challenge for many of them. Multiplication and division aren’t even on their radar screen.
    Legible writing. Grammar. Spelling. No longer in the curriculum?
    Following basic instructions. Completing a simple checklist. Only taught in advanced classes, maybe?
    Efficiently finding, reading and comprehending service information. Blank stares abound.
    A business owner who I know (in a fairly affluent suburban area) recently received this email from a teacher (edited for anonymity):
    “hi i just wanted to let you know 2nd graders at (name of school) elm.did a project today and made projects of restrauants and bussinesses in (name of town) and one little girl named (girl’s name) choose your bussines to do .she loves your (product).she did a great job and even advertised your (product).and the adress to get there.i thought you would like to know this”
    This person is TEACHING our children! We’re doomed….sigh…
    Alan Ollie replied 10 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Raymond Wittneben IV

December 1, 2013 at 10:10 am

You don’t hire them

• Alan Ollie

December 3, 2013 at 11:49 pm

We have a hard time finding new technicians. I need techs for the late model vehicles 2007 and up.

I do all the basics but the engine and get totally unqualified technicians.
    One shop owner who I know is successful has someone go around to other shops and do oil changes with the truck and talk to the technicians doing the oil change. Maybe I might have to try that.
    Late models 2007 and Up German Car Only. 40 work week and the techs can make 25-33 dollars per hr. 8:30 to 5:30. 1 hr lunch. Beautiful south fl 1.5  mi from beach. 
    I read Wrench magazine and all of the shops seem to easily find techs and open many locations .
    Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.