Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » How Does AdWords/Bing/Yahoo Ad Bidding Actually Work?

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops How Does AdWords/Bing/Yahoo Ad Bidding Actually Work?

Tagged: ,

• How Does AdWords/Bing/Yahoo Ad Bidding Actually Work?

Posted by J. Larry Bloodworth on March 15, 2022 at 5:59 pm

I’ve pondered the question for years.  I personally managed all of our AdWords and Microsoft (Bing/Yahoo) advertising and never knew the answer.  Everybody I talked to either didn’t know or gave me a different convoluted answer.  In 2010, I finally gave up and started my own online investigation.

After much searching, I finally landed on Google Patents.  That search engine is a lot easier to use than the United States Trademark and Patent Office’s (USTPO) search engine.  Trust me on that one.  Google has hundreds and hundreds of patents.  I finally drilled it down to what I was searching for.

To cut to the chase and not confuse anybody, I’ll shoot straight to the core:  It’s called the “Second Bid Auction” in layman terms.  What that means is the highest bidder does indeed win the auction-BUT- he only pays 1 cent more than the second-highest bidder.  Being in the transmission repair industry, our most popular and #1 keyword was ‘Transmission Repair” followed by #2 which was the same keyword with a car make as a prefix such as “Audi Transmission Repair.”  I discovered I could bid exorbitant bids and never pay it, but I would win the auction.  All of my competitors were left wondering why we were always first in a Google/Bing/Yahoo search.

Once I figured out how it works, our business went up $500K/yr. to $1.2M doing transmissions only.  I soon learned that most SEM companies don’t know this.  But by now, 12 years later, they probably do.  In fact, I did a YouTube search and found a video exactly about what I did 12 years ago in a Google Patent search.  I’m sure, by now, more people know about this.  Here’s a link to the video I found.  The date on the video is 4 years ago.  https://youtu.be/XcfrBRNCwQk&lt

J. Larry Bloodworth replied 2 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.