Home » Forums » Customer Service » Extended Warranty Contracts?

Home Forums Customer Service Extended Warranty Contracts?

• Extended Warranty Contracts?

Posted by Joseph Van syoc on April 6, 2011 at 1:48 am

Any smaller shops accepting extended warranty contracts? I got used to working with these at the dealer and for the most part, dont have an issue with it. All a guy really needs is a fax machine and a credit card terminal….any thoughts??

bay-master replied 12 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • davesgarage

April 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm

My policy at first was that I would get it authorized, the customer paid for the repairs, the “warranty” company pays the customer back. I now have a very talented service writer that explains it this way to the customer; The “warranty” company will only pay X amount an any given reppair, you will be responsable for the duductable [if any] any the difference of what the company will pay and what we charge. It is then explained that what they really have in an insurance policy, and the company will do their best to keep their payments out for repairs as low as possible. We do our best to keep the difference as low as possible, but the mark-up that the companys allow makes it very hard. Be sure that the only form of payment allowed from the companys is a credit card, never wait for a check.

• Joseph Van syoc

April 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I used to process these all the time at a dealer I was working for, and some companies were a pain but most were not. Most would not let you use matrix parts pricing,so we had multi tiered labor rates, care to guess which rate the warranty outfits got? Often I got paid within 10 min of faxing the claim

• Alan Ollie

April 12, 2011 at 2:44 am

We love them we never call any in unless we have a copy of the policy. We do about 3-4 big jobs a week .We only take CC payment and make sure we get paid before the car leaves the shop.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    April 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Our policy is the same as Dave’s. Explain to the customer that anything the warranty company does not pay for is the responsibility of the customer. Always get CC for payment. Had an Escalade with $3600 bill that the ext. warranty only paid $1600 on. Customer was not thrilled, but still paid the difference. It takes time to deal with them, but usually is worth it. The toughest part is waiting for an adjuster to come out on the big jobs.

• bay-master

May 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hello Joseph, I don’t mean to bother you, but you expressed interest in our software and my colleague is only getting a busy signal when he calls. Please advise whether there is a better contact number or if you are still interested. Thank you very much.