Home » Forums » Employees » employee health insurance

Home Forums Employees employee health insurance

• employee health insurance

Posted by Jim Kurtz on October 29, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Hello,
    With the skyrocketing cost off health insurance these day’s we are finding it more and more difficult to to afford. However we also are finding it the one thing most all new employee’s are looking for.
    Any idea’s on how to keep the cost down or at least affordable.
    Thanks, Jim
    E.C.M. Automotive

ZDehra Al Quraishi replied 4 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • pbrennan

November 2, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Hey there,

I agree – my personal health insurance is going up 17% next year. I have a couple of comments about this.
    First, an idea that might save you a few bucks. If your business is under 50 employees, this might be worth looking into:
    Most health insurance rates are “group” insurance, and as I understand, the rates are based on actual claims data for that group. So it goes to say that groups with older populations probably have higher rates. I used to work in corporate America, for a company that had a lot of 50+ employees. As a 20-something back then, my rates were an astounding $550/mo for just me – and that was the group rate through the company of 5,000+ employees! After leaving that company, I got quotes for myself independently of any company policy, and because I was young & healthy, my rates were only $200/mo.
    So the idea would be: Have your employees search for their own individual policy & see if it’s cheaper than yours at comparable coverage. Use an insurance company to help you administer the quote-gathering process. If it is, offer to cover whatever % of it you’d cover for other employees, and you’ll save the difference!
    NOTE: I’m not sure if this counts as offering health insurance under the “obamacare” laws. You’ll have to check with your attorney or HR / insurance provider.
    Second, do you offer more coverage for healthier employees? Does your plan administration offer discounts to non-smokers, people who aren’t overweight, etc? This would qualify them at different rate tiers, possibly saving you & the company money.
    Also, If you do offer benefits, that is a big selling point in the industry. The more benefits (not just health insurance) you offer, the better employees you can attract. Perhaps you aught to think about increasing your standards among employees you hire or already have, as a condition to your increasing costs of benefits? 
    Or lastly, and not least, insurance costs are always on the rise. If you have to raise prices, you have to raise prices. Your competition who doesn’t won’t be able to offer benefits to their employees, or they will eventually go out of business. Both are great scenarios for you! Ultimately that is what will happen with all businesses – and the consumers will end up having to pay for the increasing costs.
  • andrewtpoe

November 3, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I have a thought, and I have no idea how practical/reasonable this is. My family uses an HSA purchased on an individual plan. We determined it provided a better quality of insurance at a lower rate. We also liked it because once we hit the high deductible the insurance company pays 100% instead of the typically 80/20 split. Not everyone likes having the high deductible, which I get, but I find it totally worth it. Our insurance premium is fully half of what an 80/20 PPO would run.

Might be worth running this option by your employees, and it may still be cheaper to go this route and your company help with the deductibles. I run my own business now, and although we are not ready to hire employees yet this is the route I will be most interested in taking when I get there.
    My families insurance is going up about 20% next year as well. Just got the notice yesterday…
  • ZDehra Al Quraishi

April 25, 2019 at 6:51 am

There are different types of health insurance programs in Dubai. And the importance of having medical insurance is so crucial in today’s world. I have gone through several reviews and opinions about health insurance and my friend suggested me -The Oman Insurance Company to rely on. And I found it is the best one to choose.