Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » Do You Use Call Tracking?

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops Do You Use Call Tracking?

• Do You Use Call Tracking?

Posted by J. Larry Bloodworth on March 11, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Do You Use Call Tracking? Call tracking is one of the best-kept marketing management tools around. It tells you what advertising works and what doesn’t. Call analytics and conversation analytics give you insight to phone calls. All calls are also recorded. You can tell which keywords in Google AdWords get calls and which ones don’t. It can be used on ANY type of advertising. I had a phone pool of 100 local phone numbers. The total cost of phone tracking was $500 including the 100 phone numbers. Recently I checked and it’s down to $3 per phone number. I could write a novel about it but I won’t. Check it out for yourself at https://www.convirza.com/

J. Larry Bloodworth replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • J. Larry Bloodworth

March 13, 2022 at 12:05 pm

Call tracking is a marketing measurement and management tool.  In unto itself, it does no marketing of its own.  When I discovered call tracking, it opened up a whole new world to me.  I was able to see what marketing and advertising worked and more importantly, what didn’t.  By far, Google’s AdWords PPC worked the best for us.  We’re a transmission repair shop, I don’t know how it would work for a G/R shop.

The reason I say that is way back before the internet I learned a terrific advertising trick.  I would get an unlisted number from the phone company.  I would buy a full-page Yellow Page ad using the unlisted number.  Because it was full-page, the ad always appeared in the frontmost location under the “Transmission” section.  I had a separate telephone on my desk for the unlisted YP number.  When that phone rang, I instantly knew the source of the call.  If by chance, the ad didn’t work, I could cancel the phone number and not be responsible for the large YP ad bill.

I told another G/R shop owner who was a good friend about my strategy and he tried it.   It was a dismal failure.  The YP ad was costing him more than the business it created.  On his best month, he only broke even.  After only 5 months, he canceled the phone number.

So, the bottom line is that I don’t know if Google’s AdWords PPC will work for G/R as it works for transmission repair.  However, I do know call tracking will work for any business that gets its new sales leads over the phone.  I tracked it for a few years and it proved to me that my Google AdWords PPC worked for our shop.  Before Google PPC advertising, our shop sales plateaued at about $700K/yr.  After we started Google PPC advertising, our sales instantly increased by $500K to about $1.2M/yr.  Admittedly, we were paying about $50K/yr. to Google, but it was worth it to us.  Call tracking proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that for every $1 we paid Google, we received $10 in new business.  Overall, we were giving Google 10% of the amount in the new business we created.

In fact, we would get so busy and far behind, I would actually turn off or ‘pause’ the Adwords campaign to give us time to catch up.  Once we started seeing daylight, I would turn it back on.  In closing, I have a link below to a 3-year analysis of our Google PPC program as measured through our call tracking campaign.  Below is a link to 1 day of call tracking data and you can see the information you get via call tracking.

Certified Transmissions Pay-Per-Click Analysis

Call Tracking 2012-03-26-2012-03-26

J. Larry Bloodworth 801-885-2227 larrybloodworth@gmail.com

• ANdrew Maclauren

March 18, 2022 at 6:22 am

I also use different call tracking tools in my business. What call monitoring software do you usually use? I’ve tried many tools and still can’t pick that single one. By the way, this article https://www.stechguide.com/call-logic-best-call-management-software-for-your-campaigns/ helped to define the main demands of my business and compare them to my financial capabilities

• J. Larry Bloodworth

March 18, 2022 at 10:19 am

The link to the call tracking you provided doesn’t provide very many features.

Try https://www.convirza.com/solutions/by-industry/automotive/ I used Convirza before I retired.  Their staff is more than helpful.  If there’s anything you don’t understand, they will either help you with it or do it for you. Affordable Call Tracking Contact me if you need to talk. J. Larry Bloodworth / larrybloodworth@gmail.com / 801-885-2227