Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » D M V Mailing lists

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops D M V Mailing lists

• jgibson

April 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Hi Gary,

You’re right, the Federal Government put strict regulations on the release of personal data by Motor Vehicle Departments. Here is a link that has some more information about it. There are some exceptions; mainly if consumers have given DMV express permission for their personal information to be used for marketing purposes. This restriction probably GREATLY reduces the number of actual DMV records available.

http://epic.org/privacy/drivers/

With that said, there are some good list sources out there with pretty high accuracy rates for vehicle specific lists compiled through a combination of voluntary consumer data and predictive modeling.

We actually have the ability to use those lists and compare them against lists of local consumers in your area who have the same age, lifestyle, and demographic attributes of your best customers to locate potentially high value consumers who drive the types of vehicles you are looking to service.

I hope this helps!

• Gary Keyes AMAM

April 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm

So,does the company that I linked to DMVlists.com really have access to the DMV records ?

• jgibson

April 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm

It appears from their marketing piece that they can provide limited data pulled from consumer volunteered information from DMVs in certain states. If you look through their Q&A link it gives some more details on that. With that said, I’m not sure how much more accurate that information would be than getting a list from another quality vendor that also include voluntary vehicle ownership data, or what percentage of people actually volunteer that data through DMV…

• Alan Ollie

May 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

In florida The DMV will give you year make counts by zip code no customer or address info for free.Sometimes it costs 1 cent ea . With

that info you can see the real dmw counts from the Company’s saying

they can get non merged vehicle specific info.

If you really want to get into big trouble you can sign a waiver stating the list will be used for statical use only and will not be

used top directly contact the record in the list .

I did find a way years ago .A large list company would sell 3 separate

lists as long as they were different corporations buying each list.

people , address , make modle . Than you merge them to get really accurate mailing lists.

Mailing the same 10,000 VW Audi owner 3 times each to get a 2% return.

Back 5-6 years ago. I cant seem to get a non merged list that is more

than 70% accurate.

I do not think i could get 2% nowadays because so many people use the

internet and chuck out junk mail.

If you do the numbers the cost per customer is about $200 each Yikes i

spend $60 each new customer now.

I asked a on a old post anyone had Mudlic mail send out mailers?

I am suppose to get car counts from Customer link i will compare and

post the results.

Thanks Ollie

• zed

July 30, 2015 at 11:04 am

It is time to remove the rumors and look at the facts about the DMV Mailing List.

There is a DMV Mailing List and it has been available for 11 years. 

Yes it is the real thing. How can this be done? 
    Because of the Privacy Act, you cannot give out any personal information about the vehicle your lead is driving.

So when you go to buy the DMV List, all you get is a name and address.
    You will not know what car they have, but everyone on the list will have the cars you selected by car make, year and even model if you like.

If you are getting a list that the supplier says is DMV, but it also has all personal information available like car make, model and year, phone number, age, income level ETC. IT IS EITHER NOT A DMV LIST OR IT IS ILLEGAL.