Home » Forums » Customer Service » Customers and Recalls – How do you handle them?

Home Forums Customer Service Customers and Recalls – How do you handle them?

• Customers and Recalls – How do you handle them?

Posted by Tom on September 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

The number of customers asking questions related to the recall letters they are receiving seems to be the greatest it has ever been and increasing. Do you point them to the dealer (and risk losing a lot of other work). Do you offer to take it for them? I hear this mentioned often, however I wonder how many shops actually have a system in place and do this on a regular basis. If you do take it for them, how do you handle the logistics and costs? My perception is that dealers are taking advantage of the recalls coming there way to get a lot of work that would normally go to independents.

George Smith replied 10 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • autovitals

September 14, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Members of the AutoVitals network offer a subscription service to their customer motorists. This service informs them about recalls in the last 6 months. 

Some shops take the vehicle to the dealer for the customer, others guide motorists what to do with recall.
  • davesgarage

September 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm

My shop is 2 blocks from the VW, Audi, Volvo, Nissan, and Toyota dealer.  We offer to take their car in for them, but we do direct them that the dealer has to do the work.  My customers come to our shop for a reason, they do not like the dealer.  I’m not threatened at all, if the dealer finds needed work, my customers  bring it back for me to do the work.

• George Smith

September 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Ok, I’m the dealer, don’t throw rotten veggies at me!!  Probably different in our area that others, but many of the local shops bring their customers vehicles to us for recalls and warranty work. 

We work very well with the local shops or atleast 95% of them. We cut our door rate by 50%, wholesale parts and work with them any way we can, as they do us.  I send alot of vehicles to local shops because we are just to tied up to take care of the customer in a timely manner.  At this time, we have 3 vehicles in our shop from local shops, none are warranty items, but problem children they have been working on.

We lend our tools, clear codes, relearn pcm/tcm/bcm ect… do self test and “quick” diag for free to the local guys that uses are shop and parts to a degree. 

With all this said, if they don’t use us, they pay retail.

And yes, if the vehicle comes in for a recall, we do perform an inspection along with code check, advise the customer of items that should be addressed.  Isn’t that what we are suppose to do?  Wouldn’t it be a disservice if we didn’t??  Isn’t that what independent shops do?

So, yes, carry the vehicle to the dealer, stop by the Service Managers office and see if you can just talk with them.  Many a good working relationships where started over a free cup of coffee!!