Home » Forums » Customer Service » Closing Big Ticket Repair Sales

Home Forums Customer Service Closing Big Ticket Repair Sales

• Closing Big Ticket Repair Sales

Posted by J. Larry Bloodworth on April 10, 2022 at 9:39 am

How often have you been met with the sales objection of “I’ll just buy another car?” when trying to close a big ticket repair?  Being a transmission-only repair shop, we heard this sales objection quite often.  It used to be anyone could buy a fairly decent used vehicle for $5K-$10K and never look back.  Everything automotive-related costs a lot more now.  Used vehicles, new vehicles, and yes… transmission repair.  Today, it’s not uncommon for a transmission to run $5K or more.  5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 speed transmissions are what modern vehicles are equipped with.

The average price for a good used vehicle today is $20K or more.  According to JD Power, used vehicle prices have increased in price more than new vehicles, or more, as illustrated in the chart below.  This chart shows the AVERAGE change in the selling price of both new and used vehicles.  My wife and I purchased a brand new fully loaded RAV4 Hybrid last year.  We paid slightly over $50K.  A few years ago, that same vehicle was only $40K.  Whether new or used, people are faced with sticker shock when they go actively looking for another vehicle.

When any shop is faced with the sales objection of “I’ll just buy another car.”, we need to bring our customers into the modern real-world reality that the sales tax alone on another vehicle is often just as much or higher than the price of the big-ticket repair we’re trying close on.

https://youtu.be/3vlFp-3wGzE

J. Larry Bloodworth replied 2 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.