Home » Forums » Auto and Truck Shop Management Software » Check in software for tablets

Home Forums Auto and Truck Shop Management Software Check in software for tablets

• Check in software for tablets

Posted by Bob Waeiss on October 4, 2019 at 8:44 pm

I visited a new doctor recently. As a new patient I was handed a tablet instead of a usual clip board to fill out my medical history and HIPPA forms. It wasn’t the first time it occurred to me how useful this would be for the purpose of gathering information regarding problems and symptoms when a customer was dropping off a vehicle. I have done some searching for a product like this, but no luck. Is anyone aware of such a thing for our industry?

Site Administrator replied 4 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Tom

October 6, 2019 at 7:49 am

Bob,

Tablet check-in can be used with a number of software companies, however, it seems to be one of those things that just has not caught on yet. I know several shops that have it, but none that use it. Maybe because a thorough write up often involves a lot of typing by the advisor, and that is hard to do on a tablet.

I think that technology needs to improve a bit and advisors need to become more comfortable with new technology. There is a lot of info about most of the better softwares here:

https://www.automotivemanagementnetwork.com/tools/software-shop-management-surveys/

• Adam Woodill

October 6, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Hi Bob.

There are several systems – both dealer management and electronic MPI companies – that offer this technology. They all have pro’s and con’s – but my personal experience is that the technology is limiting. You must weigh the benefit of a professional write up with the additional time that it takes.

In my opinion, they are a useful tool – but not a “magic pill” that will revolutionize how we interact with customers/staff.

• John Burkhauser

October 7, 2019 at 7:48 am

Tablet or kiosk check in is here and has been for quite a while so the technology is not new.  There is a shop in California that used a tablet check in over 19,000 times last I have heard.

As for info input, if the customer is current all they need is their phone number to look up their info. A few taps of the fingers will enter most needed info and chosen work.  Any open text field can be typed in or use speech to text used to fill them out.

Non current customers will have their number compared against the online “white pages” and probably have their info automatically filled in for them.  (Pretty accurately but not always.)

Welcome station creates an estimate in the management system that a service advisor edits and puts together a quote that is authorized by the customer.

Feel free to reach out to me for more in depth information.

• Bob Waeiss

October 7, 2019 at 8:39 am

So maybe I misstated my inquiry. We prefer a personalized “check in”.  I’m looking for something that will consistently gather accurate information regarding symptoms. My staff would have the software on their workstation or a tablet.

Such as: Customer states; I have a leak.
    We ask: How do you know? Drips, puddle, steam, smoke, odor?
    – What color?  Consistency?  Oily, watery?
    – Any warning lights on?
    – How long has it been leaking?
    – Have you had to add fluid?
    – If so, how much? How often?
    – Coolant leak? Has it over heated?
    – If so, how long was the vehicle driven in that condition?
    As you can see, this can be used for a multitude of symptoms.

• John Burkhauser

October 8, 2019 at 7:47 am

Bob,

There might be but I think that going in this deep about a concern is something that will only work with a one on one conversation.  (That is until AI gets up to speed.)  The reason I say this is similar to the symptom sheets we gave out at the dealership, most were pencil whipped and worthless. (Similarly I had the tablet experience recently at a doctor visit and I too was like overwhelmed by the questions asked.)

Another possible issue is that the customer will determine what they think is wrong and answer the questions the way they think they should be and not in an unbiased manner.

Despite these possible disadvantages, having a customer get all their basic info up to date in your system in addition to being able to choose from a menu of jobs will save time allowing for a more accurate interview with what the customer’s concern is.

It’s a tough question.

• R C

October 10, 2019 at 10:42 am

We use Complete Auto Reports as a mobile system for the team members, that transitions the check-ins into the invoice.  The system needs some improvements with parts vendors integrations, but it’s a pretty good process that allows for a fair amount of mobility in comparison to what’s out there.

You can open a service request from your phone for any existing customer in less than 30 seconds as you do the walk around.  Photograph or record any findings and take customer notes on the check in screen.

That then transfers to anything instantaneously.

*disclaimer* That platform was started at our service facility.  Our business has completely changed for the better in the last 4 years through its implementation.

• Bob Waeiss

October 12, 2019 at 5:21 am

Is Complete Auto Reports an SMS or does it integrate with your SMS?

If it is separate, what SMS are you using?

Thank you for your input.

• Site Administrator

Administrator
    October 12, 2019 at 8:22 am