Home » Forums » Everything Else » Change Your Attitude – Change Your Results

Home Forums Everything Else Change Your Attitude – Change Your Results

• Change Your Attitude – Change Your Results

Posted by Site Administrator on December 22, 2022 at 3:37 pm

There has been a lot written recently about attitudes, customer, and team member alike. It seems every day someone is writing or telling a story about “this crazy customer.”

But I wonder, how much of this comes from the attitude we project?

Check this out.

“When our research tracked 20,000 new hires, 46% of them failed within 18 months. But even more surprising than the failure rate, was that when new hires failed, 89% of the time it was for attitudinal reasons and only 11% of the time for a lack of skill. The attitudinal deficits that doomed these failed hires included a lack of coachability, low levels of emotional intelligence, motivation and temperament.” Mark Murphy, Hiring for Attitude, Forbes

This quote from a blog post by David Kanigan struck me like a bolt of lightning this morning. Has that ever happened to you? You go into work or pick up the paper or see or hear something and BAM it’s in your head and everything seems different, even if it’s only for a little while.

In the car business, it’s all attitude

I think I have probably heard “do a checkup from the neck up” at least a million times in my career. It is as pure an attitude adjustment technique today as it was when first uttered.

I picture a Roman general saying to his troops just before battle “Hey, get in the war man. Do a checkup from the neck up before we rush over that moat” or something like that. That’s how old it is.

And just like everything else that’s been around awhile there is a reason it’s still being used today. Because it works.

Here are 5 ways you can do a little Attitude Adjustment before you start talking to customers today.

1. Find a reason to smile. And if you don’t have a reason to smile, just start smiling, even if you are by yourself. It sounds weird, but it works. Smiling produces a physical and mental change in our body and creates a positive energy that will carry you through the day. Don’t believe me? Try frowning and scowling all day. Go ask your significant other to do something for you while scowling at them and see what happens.

2. Make a quick checklist of 10 things you are grateful for. Then put that checklist on your desk or carry it around in your pocket and look at it a couple of times a day. You could do one now and then another one at the end of the day and compare. In fact, if you post it somewhere other people can read it (hint: customers) you might find yourself making a few more sales.

3. Make it your mission today to infect someone else with your attitude. Try it. The next customer that comes in don’t say this to yourself “Here comes a mooch, bet they don’t buy squat.” Instead say this to yourself “Hey, that’s great! A customer is here to see me! Fantastic! I can’t wait to tell them about _______” put a big smile on your mug and get to work. It doesn’t matter if you are in service sales or variable sales. Try it!

4. Become solution focused and not problem focused. You have to stay solution focused until the deal is done. Centered on the solution, not the problem. If you are always thinking about ways of solving problems, you will solve them. If all you think about is “Why did this happen to me” get ready for more unfortunate “happenings.”

5. Start using positive language on yourself. Positive words instead of negative words. Don’t say “This sucks” every time something does not go your way. Say this instead. “I’ll find a way” or “I’ll make it happen” and start doing something different. Here is a simple rule you can apply.
    E + R = O. Event plus Response equals an Outcome. If you are not having enough good Outcomes, you need to change your Response. It starts with positive language and carries over to positive Action.
    Want to have a big day today??? Then do those things that lead to Success and start with a Change in your Attitude.

Leonard Buchholz
    DealerPro Training
    lbuchholz@dealerprotraining.com

Site Administrator replied 1 year, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.