Home » Forums » Employees » cell phones

Home Forums Employees cell phones

• cell phones

Posted by Wayne on April 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm

looking for a policy for employees use of cell phones during work. I have 1 tech that seems to be taking advantage of a good nature boss.

I am also suprised that there is no previous post on this subject.

Did a search.

joekessel replied 13 years ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • rhopp

April 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Below is from our handbook. Written back before you could watch

streaming video, balance your checkbook & manage

your portfolio in the palm of your hand.

“Business phones are part of our workplace as an essential part of

maintaining good communications with our customers, vendors and

service providers.

It is expected that all employees will keep their personal telephone

calls to a minimum. There may be times, of course, when it will

become necessary for you to make or receive personal calls,but you

should request your family and friends to call you at home

instead of work, whenever possible. We do not object to your making a

personal call, but we do request you exercise discretion in

the use of the telephone. No long distance phone calls are to be made

from Company phones, unless you have received prior approval

from your supervisor.”

Consistent enforcement / Buy-in is the key IMHO. Verbal warning, two

written warnings & termination. The above is

vague for a reason, if they want to argue it, its a pretty clear

signal that its time for change.

• Tom Piippo

April 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I think that most of us boss’s have a strong tech background and are naturally weak in the HR department. When I have this situation I have to grow some ‘nads and confront him and stand my ground. I have told employees to leave their cell phone in their car and check messages during his break time. It usually works. If they become confrontational, see the next paragraph.

By nature, we all tend to avoid confrontation. I keep reminding myself “I’m the boss, it is up to me to make this organization work. I’ve worked hard to get where I am and I don’t owe anyone a living; they have to work for it just like I do.”

• John Bamford

April 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm

At our shop under no circumstances do we allow cell phones in the bay, on the test drive, at the desk, or the counter.

We believe people can take their breaks to use the telephone, or they can leave them in their cars.

We cannot succeed in our goal of providing the very MOST ATTENTIVE and SAFE service POSSIBLE, if we’re busy texting, tweeting, and FaceBooking…working here and having this opportunity is not a RIGHT-it’s a privilege.

• joekessel

April 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm

In nearly 50 years of owning a repair shop rarely have personal phone calls been of a positive nature. The rule in our shop is UNLESS A FAMILY MEMBER is in need of immediate medical attention NO personal calls cellphone or land line are accepted. Cellphones are not to be answered in the shop. Remember that a wheel left loose or possibly a master cylinder not filled or a master cylinder cap left off could be disasterious. Only you could loose by these unnecessary distractions. So why allow the possibly of a catastrophe?