Home » Forums » Employees » Can Policies and Procedures Become Ridiculous?

Home Forums Employees Can Policies and Procedures Become Ridiculous?

• Can Policies and Procedures Become Ridiculous?

Posted by Tom on May 14, 2018 at 8:22 am

We all laugh when we see the silly warning labels like the ones on the washer and drier warning us not to use these to bathe our children. Or do not iron clothing while it is being worn. Yet, I wonder about us some days.

Example 1 – Car rolled into equipment in the shop when the tech neglected to put the transmission in park when exiting the car. Example 2 – Tech backs car through bay door when he neglected to open it first. No one was hurt in either situation, but with people constantly moving around a repair shop someone certainly could have been seriously injured of even killed.

Some say this is a training issue. These things need to be in your policies and procedures manual and covered in your employee training. But others say that is ridiculous.

I will admit that if I were a tech working at a shop where training occurred on these issues or they were found in the employee manual I would tend to think that they think I am none too bright – or at the very least I am working with people who probably should not be working on cars (and maybe not driving them for that matter). I will certainly reassess the location of my tool box and constantly be looking over my shoulder any time I hear a vehicle begin to move.

I get that tech positions are getting harder to fill. I go along with the general concept of hiring people we may not have hired in the past and doing more training to compensate. But I also think the bar can be lowered too far – something we should be careful about when we are attempting to improve our image.

Joseph Van syoc replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Joseph Van syoc

May 15, 2018 at 8:02 am

Just remember  Tom those labels and policies exist because some one, some where (mostly likely a starving lawyer) actually sued some one for that.  Now hopefully those suits were dismissed, but you never know.  It is not enough that some people ought to get Darwin Awards, no, those same people have lawyers.