Home » Forums » Equipment And Tools » BOSH VCI

Home Forums Equipment And Tools BOSH VCI

• Posted by Jay on June 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm

does anyone use the Bosh VCI scan tool? good/bad.we have had the master tech for about 16 years and has been a great tool,thinking about updating,alot to choose from these days. thanks

scotchdwh replied 12 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • davesgarage

June 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’m a Bosch Service Center so I got a very generous rebate that influenced my decesion to purchase one. That being said after 1 year of use I would not go that route again. It does not do all the functions and/or vehicles that it claims to as listed in this application guide; http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/dsoftware/ESItronic_SAG_2010_2.pdf It has been a disappointment from the begininng. It listed being able to access a full range of controllers on a Ford Escape, it only read generaric OBD. I recently welcomed a new tech in my shop that had his own Snap-On Verus that is 4 times the tool of the KTS. The only car that the KTS does that the Verus won’t is Saabs. [which aren’t even listed as doable in the application guide.]

• Tom Piippo

June 29, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I looked at the VCI and passed. I have a friend who snagged a long term demo (3 months) and he isn’t impressed. On GM,s the Tech2 does more. The VCI is basically a laptop interfaces Mastertech and supports all Mastertech functions, even OE Toyota. The VCI needs an annual subscription to work. The KDS is a different tool. I hope this helps.

• Patrick McElroy

June 29, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Dan, Bosch is nowhere near as good to deal with as Vetronix was. I have a VCI and it is slow slow slow. There is a new universal scan tool out from Hanatech that covers many vehicles at a reasonable cost. I bought it from CAS of New England (goolge them) and it does a decent job. BUT, not many scan tools on the market can do what the OEM scan tools do. Ex.- If you work on many fords, buy an IDS. Audi and VW, buy the vag-com. etc. etc. Talk with someone from CAS because they sell them All and may have a rep in your area. Good luck.

• Humphrey Pisanis

June 30, 2011 at 3:25 am

We have the Bosch Mastertech VCI, which is different from the KTS200 we also have.

The Bosch Mastertech VCI is a much better unit then the KTS200 I think you are speaking about. The Mastertech VCI is also a very capable J2534 reprogramming tool which we use frequently.

It does the Ford Escape fairly well,But we have a IDS for Fords too. our KTS200 does not.

We also have a Verus and 3 Solus Pros, Toyota TIS, 2 Tech 2’s for all GM and SAAB. an ISCAN II and Ford’s IDS system and an older Mastertech unit. Oh yeah and that OTC unit

Our KTS200 for the most part collects dust, we use it in the lube bays to reset maintenance lights and such.

The Bosch VCI gets used daily. It’s a little slow, but it’s on an older laptop that is a touch screen with our shop software on it for the techs. It’s setup on a Panasonic Tough book and we do not pick up our Older Yellow Mastertech much unless it’s an older non OBDII vehicle like a Toyota or Honda or a GM needing a Tech 1a

SO I think that maybe you are a little bit confused between the KTS200 and the mastertech VCI

http://rb-aa.bosch.com/vci-mastertech/us/en/

here is the KTS200 we also have

http://aa.bosch.de/advastaboschaa/Product.jsp?prod_id=339&ccat_id=128&language=en-GB&publication=3

Just my observations to the thread

Humphrey

• scotchdwh

July 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm

After several years of frustration and visits by a number of Bosch/Vetronix technicians (most or all of which no longer work for Bosch), replacing the tool several times and sending it to California several times, I threw in the towel and asked for a refund for my VCI unit. Never worked reliably and when it did, it didn’t do half of what they said it would.