Home » Forums » Shop Design & Efficiency » Air line type for shop air

Home Forums Shop Design & Efficiency Air line type for shop air

• Air line type for shop air

Posted by Jim Masella on May 3, 2019 at 11:02 pm

Has  anyone used Rapid Air Max Line for their airlines in their shop?  It’s a special three-quarter inch blue air hose with an aluminum core that’s easy to work with like PVC and made for airlines.   Available from Northern tool and Amazon 

PVC – not to code?

Galvanized- flakes off and gets into air tools +  hard to work with 

Black pipe- rust  problems and hard to work with 

Copper pipe – expensive and have to sweat the joints 

Aluminum pipe – expensive and not easy to work with 

Greg Minnick replied 4 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Alexey Ivanov

May 4, 2019 at 10:13 am

We are using PEX pipe in our shop for air lines. It is very easy to work with, low cost and it is safe in case of damage (not like PVC). 

• J. Larry Bloodworth

May 4, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I’ve been using schedule 40 PVC (not 20 for lawn sprinklers) for over 30 years and have never had a problem.  It’s rated for 480 psi.  However, as you’ll see in the video, near the point of use, I switch to a galvanized pipe.   Check it out…

https://youtu.be/rmLRZoQ4eSA    1:38

• Matthew Potter

May 5, 2019 at 6:14 am

We looked into PEX but didn’t want to risk it not meeting code requirements. 

In the end we used the aluminum pipe and fittings from TransAir. The product was expensive but we installed it ourselves. In the end, the piping looks great and the performance from what we had (rubber hose running everywhere) has increased phenomenally. 

• Greg Minnick

May 6, 2019 at 9:53 am

I installed the Rapid Air lines almost five years ago. Yes they are costly, but installing them is quick and easy. I am very happy with how they turned out and recommend them.