Home » Forums » Everything Else » 9 Unlicensed Auto Repair Shops Closed by State

Home Forums Everything Else 9 Unlicensed Auto Repair Shops Closed by State

• 9 Unlicensed Auto Repair Shops Closed by State

Posted by Site Administrator on April 15, 2016 at 9:56 am
    Under “Operation Torque Wrench”, the Secretary of State announced the closure of 9 unlicensed repair shops in Michigan as enforcement team goes into full swing. ASA Michigan announced last fall that the Department of State had undergone some reorganization that included moving some existing employees on to a licensing enforcement team. In addition, we did a local news story in Detroit about it 18 months ago and another in West Michigan about 6 weeks ago regarding unlicensed shops and the frustrations that they create to those doing business respecting the law. We also mentioned earlier this year that the Department of State was out inspecting – and we continue to get phone calls that this remains on-going. 
    #autoshoplicensing
    Site Administrator replied 6 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • joe-ace

October 10, 2017 at 4:38 pm

My son and I have been discussing opening up a automotive repair shop for general maintenance, oil, tires, brakes, fluids, etc..  He will be enrolling to acquire all the ASE licenses necessary for each service. However, besides local municipality business licenses and service certifications. What other licenses are required to open a repair shop, state and local. Also are there any Hazmat licenses or disposal requirements as well. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

• Site Administrator

Administrator
    October 11, 2017 at 9:11 am

It varies depending on state, county, city and township.

Here are some of the ones you may encounter (and there may be others not listed here):

Building codes
    Business license
    Fire department regulations
    HAZMAT regulations
    Zoning regulations
    DNR/DEQ regulations
    Mechanic license
    Repair Facility license
    Sales tax license
    EPA regulations

For specifics in your area, contact the trade association for auto service shops in your state or city. We’ve created a list of trade associations here:

https://www.automotivemanagementnetwork.com/tools/shop-owner-resource-directory/#Trade-Associations-Automotive