Home » Forums » Everything Else » You Talk Too Much (Free Sample Tip # 179 from the Premium Member Area)

Home Forums Everything Else You Talk Too Much (Free Sample Tip # 179 from the Premium Member Area)

• You Talk Too Much (Free Sample Tip # 179 from the Premium Member Area)

Posted by AMN Admin on March 31, 2022 at 2:10 pm

Reduce the verbiage. Get rid of obvious and redundant words. Just cut to the chase and make your point. The world is filled with far too much text and too many words that say far too little. Whatever you are trying to communicate, how can you accomplish it while using as few words as possible?

Nate Smith replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Nate Smith

April 1, 2022 at 12:39 pm

Well, that “tip” makes no sense to me.  Does it refer to a phone call, to a face-to-face discussion, to email, or to a repair order?  I guess the “tip” proves my point.

It is possible to use too few words, and then whatever you are trying to communicate is vague, or inaccurate, or misleading.  While I generally agree with the premise – use a few words as possible and avoid redundancies – we have found that with Repair Orders specifically, our industry is much like Charles Dickens.  He got paid by the word (which is why his books are so long), and so do we.  A long, thorough and complete explanation of the repair needed, the steps taken, and the results is worth much more (in terms of customer satisfaction) than the alternative.  Think about the repair orders you have seen from other shops: R & R engine – $3000.  That exactly fits the tip above, but does absolutely nothing to build value!