Home » Forums » Everything Else » Survey – Holiday Schedules, Closed Days

Home Forums Everything Else Survey – Holiday Schedules, Closed Days

Tagged: 

• Survey – Holiday Schedules, Closed Days

Posted by Site Administrator on October 1, 2014 at 10:27 am

On which of these dates will your shop be closed?

___ November 27
    ___ November 26
    ___ November 28
    ___ December 22
    ___ December 23
    ___ December 24
    ___ December 25
    ___ December 26
    ___ December 27
    ___ December 29
    ___ December 30
    ___ December 31
    ___ January 1
    ___ January 2
    ___ January 3

Comments welcome.
    Tom replied 9 years, 4 months ago 18 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • shadowoods

October 7, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.

• jaschmidt

October 7, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Thanksgiving, 1/2 day Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day.

The Fridays after Christmas and New Years will depend on the hours of the parts suppliers in our market and the customers interested in scheduling work on those days…
  • hoauto

October 8, 2014 at 5:37 pm

We will be closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. We may shut down early on ‘the eves’, depending on work load. We will be open the Fridays  after.

• J.P. Glenn

October 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

We will be closed Thanksgiving day only,  and Christmas Eve through New Years day (and possibly that Friday).  We do this every year to do any needed building maint and/or repairs and so that everyone can spend some time with their families. 

• str53

October 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Nov 27, 28 and Dec 25-Jan 2

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    October 14, 2014 at 8:38 am

Closed (with base pay) Nov. 27 & 28 for Thanksgiving.
    Closed December 24, 25, 26 (with base pay) for Christmas.
    Open New Years Eve (my crew voted and traded for Dec. 26!) but closed with pay for January 1. 2015.  We expect to be out of the shop by 3:00 in the afternoon Dec 31.  I hadn’t given much thought to the 3rd, didn’t look at a calendar yet!  Hmmm…
    I just spent 18 months and went through 6 “employees” looking for a second mechanic that would be a good fit in my shop.  Now that I have a good crew I want to keep them happy and content.  Time with family over the Holidays is a beautiful thing!
    Pay scale is hourly + commission + profit sharing and this Holiday Schedule will likely cost us all a bit of money!  Oh well…  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

• gzloom

October 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm

We close Thanksgiving and the friday after.  Christmas day and the friday after and New Years Day.

• Jon

October 21, 2014 at 11:46 am

Days we close:

New Years
    Memorial Day
    4th of July
    Labor Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    Christmas Day

-close early Dec 24th & Dec. 31st

• Bob Waeiss

October 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm

We close on the holiday. Usually close early the day before and the day after, if its a Friday, depending on the work load. My crew is hourly and have the option to use PTO hours if they have any remaining.

• tire-smoking

October 27, 2014 at 2:38 pm

We take all of them off except Dec. 22 & 23rd. Dec. is kick ass month. Usually one of the best months of the year.

• Tom Piippo

October 28, 2014 at 10:06 am

For us, this is a no-brainer. we are never open Fridays anyway.  We will give all day Christmas Eve and Christmas day with pay. It hasn’t been discussed, but we usually knock off a couple of hours early on New Years eve, with pay. My policy is all major holidays are paid, if they fall on a work day, but we are flexible and often give an alternative day off.

• argo

November 8, 2014 at 10:40 am

I close the afternoon of Christmas eve and reopen Jan 02. This gives employees a much needed break and time for me to do things in the shop that need doing. Opening for a couple of days and them closing cost more for me than it is worth. I am a small shop grossing over $1,000,000 year including equipment sales so not a large dealership. 

• Dennis

November 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Close early on Nov 26 closed 27,28,29,30

December close early on 23 , closed 24,25,26 
    Close early on dec 31 , closed jan 1st and second 
  • Jeff Ruffing

December 8, 2014 at 11:51 am

We were closed Thanksgiving Day and the day after.
    We are thinking of being closed 24,25,26,27, and 28 for Christmas.
    New Years Day off, maybe go a little early on NYEve, if it’s slow.

• thetrustedmechanic

December 15, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I’m still a one man shop and I always play it by ear.  I am always closed Thanksgiving day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.  Black Friday I won’t open if there is nothing on the schedule. I did the first two years I was in business only to find the other shops around me were closed so I felt like a fool.  No reason to come in if there’s no work on the schedule.  I don’t avoid scheduling but most customers will tell me to stay home with my family they’ll just wait until Monday.  As for December 26 and January 2, same way if it falls on a Thursday, I’ll stay home if there is no work scheduled for Friday.  If they fall on any other day, well I am open usually all day on December 24 and December 31 regardless.  Of course, if it’s 3:00 pm and nothing else to do and all cars are picked up, well I may take liberty and leave early.

• charles longo

December 15, 2014 at 9:19 pm

If anyone can make a profit between Christmas and the 2nd or 3rd week of January, let me know the secret.

• Tom

December 16, 2014 at 7:28 am

Many families can more easily give up a car for a day or more during the holidays than any other time of the year.