Home » Forums » Shop Design & Efficiency » Preventing the Wrong Parts Dance

Home Forums Shop Design & Efficiency Preventing the Wrong Parts Dance

Tagged: ,

• Preventing the Wrong Parts Dance

Posted by Tom on May 15, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Here comes the tech and the dance begins – “These parts are wrong.” To clarify, these are the parts that were handed to this tech 4 hours ago. He just now opened the box and found out they are incorrect.

Of course, if it has been covered once, it has been covered 100 times that techs need to make sure the parts are correct as soon as the parts are given to them. But, for whatever reason, that seems to be a difficult thing to do.

What is the policy and procedure at your shop to prevent the dance? 

Monica Anaya replied 8 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • nilkanth

May 17, 2015 at 7:48 am

We had this problem before but after changing the procedure, the rate is too low now. What I did, is to print out the part number and part picture from the parts catalog and hand over to technician to identify the part and attached all these documents to the job card. Who can identify the parts better than technician?

• Tom Piippo

May 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm

The techs get reminded every morning and again every Wednesday during our ‘training lunch’ to review the parts delivered before digging into the job. The problem is minimal, but once is too often. Another bone of contention is the greasy ripped up box they expect me to return when the part is not correct. Again, they have gotten better about this but it still happens.

Just venting here, but FelPro used to list the make and model application on their packaging, but don’t anymore. But they still have the NOT RETURNABLE label. Yes, I have a small inventory of FelPro in tattered boxes on my shelf.

• Monica Anaya

July 9, 2015 at 10:12 am

We had numerous problems and what we do is have the service advisor check them and/ or the technician. Rarely have issues anymore but it is bound to happen.

Tom…. on a different topic. Can you give me more information on your ‘training lunch’ and what that consists of?