Home » Forums » Customer Service » Tip # 107 Of Course We Inspect Everyone’s Car (Sample Tip from Premium Members Area)

Home Forums Customer Service Tip # 107 Of Course We Inspect Everyone’s Car (Sample Tip from Premium Members Area)

• Tip # 107 Of Course We Inspect Everyone’s Car (Sample Tip from Premium Members Area)

Posted by Site Administrator on November 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm

“Of Course We Inspect Every Car!”

At least, that’s what many shop owners will tell you. But, what does that mean? Often it means if there is time, if we constantly remind the techs, it comes last in the initial process, it is what the tech decides to inspect, there are quite a few exceptions, etc. In other words…”No, we really do not inspect every car.” Try this. Use a well developed form every time. Perform the inspection first before the sold testing and services are performed. Do not give the tech the next RO until the inspection on the current car is fully completed. Finally, eliminate all exceptions and excuses to keep that door shut. If your techs are not finding $500 to $1,000 or more of legitimate work on the average car coming through your shop, much of your potential income is being ignored every day.

Alan Ollie replied 9 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • mtnmods

January 16, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Yes, we require an inspection of every car, with a regular form. I pay .3/hr toward this free inspection. (I am generous) but I am a stickler on giving every customer his own ability to make an educated decision on his service based on a full knowledge of his/her cars condition regardless of my opinion of his/her ability or willingness to pay.
    I like the idea of holding the RO until the inspection is in, however I can see how if the Service Adviser is busy, the techs will often be standing around waiting on a regular basis. I also know that the busiest job in a shop often is the front desk. They definitely don’t need any non-customer service related busy work added to their repertoire. While not a perfect scenario, I give out the RO with the inspection form but if a quality inspection is not completed and turned in to the front within the first 12-20 minutes, the tech does not get the .3 and I back-flag them an additional -.3. Haven’t had a problem with inspections in years.

• Alan Ollie

March 14, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Every car I stopped paying my tecs to make the list i found they would not do a complete inspection so if they want to eat they better do a proper inspection.

We are in the 3 week of doing digital inspections with bolt on software .

***Dings/Scratches/Dents/Cracks***
    ABS AIRBAG EPC ENGINE BRAKE MIL OTHER
    Brake Fluid- _______________________________________________
    GOOD WATCH BAD
    Brake pad thickness Front_____MM REAR_____MM
    Brake Rotor Scored Y / N
    Brake Pulsation Y / N
    Check All Running Lights:
    CONDITION WATCH SEEPAGE LEAK
    Oil Leaks:_________________________________________________
    Power Steering leaks:_______________________________________
    Oil level:____
    TIRE PRESS F:____R :_____
    TIRE WEAR/CONDITION:___________________________
    GOOD WORN UNEVEN WEAR DRY ROT
    C V Boots:
    PASS: OUTER / INNER DRIVER: OUTER / INNER
    Suspension :_____________________________________
    CONTROL ARM (Whole / Bushings) TIE ROD (Whole / Ends) STRUT MOUNT SHOCKS SWAY BAR BALL JOINT
    WHEEL BEARINGS (F/R)
    WIPERS: GOOD WATCH BAD
    WIPER WASHER FLUID: TOPPED OFF/LEAKING FROM
    Lube doors___Service Interval Light/Reset Clock-RESET
    ROAD TEST NOTES:
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________