Home » Forums » Everything Else » Parts delivery taking to long.

Home Forums Everything Else Parts delivery taking to long.

• Parts delivery taking to long.

Posted by Chester Bulat on March 14, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Would like to know if any body else is having this problem.Taking sometimes up to 1-hour or more to get my parts delivered.I have 4-major parts stores with in 1- mile.Some only put on 2 drivers. I’m

loosing money by waiting.Tried Auto Zone and presto! parts are deliverd in 10-20 minutes.Feel bad a little about using these guys but

sick of having cars in the shop with no parts to install in a timly manor.Any body else using Auto Zone?

davidpass replied 13 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • davesgarage

March 15, 2011 at 12:45 am

Go get them yourself if they’re that close. Another solution is to let your store rep, [they have one, right?]about the problem. I’ve settled on a limited amount of suppliers and let themknow what I expect of them. Remember, you’re the customer.

• newell08

March 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm

It sounds like you are at least plugged in enough to know that time is money. As a jobber salesman I can give a little input. In our area I know that the “zone” has only 20 to 25 commercial customers. I have over 600. That being said it sounds like a service issue with the “major” stores. Hopefully they have a salesman ,If not call the store manager and ask him to stop by your shop and let him know your concerns and expectations. Communicate with them. I am sure the know if they have a service issue but then again maybe not. I hope You can get the service that you Do deserve.

• Chester Bulat

March 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Mike I have been plugged in for 22-years as a shop owner.The big parts

stores always seem to have a problem with how many drivers they can have based on there sales,or is it the managers doing so he makes bonus? Having a three bay shop is tough when you are waiting on parts and it takes so long.I just want to know from other shop owners if it comes down to who can do the best job in getting parts to your shop the fastest do you care about the company that delivers them.

• newell08

March 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Fully understand , maybe we are different. I have 13 delivery truck and vans. Its service , service, service. I guess thats why we do great buisness. I still would expect any of my customers large or small to let me know of any service issues. I hope it all works out for you.

• newell08

March 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm

By the way , I meant that as a compliment. It is amazing that alot of shop owners and managers dont seem to know what they lose when they are waiting . We figure it is 3.00 to 4.00 a minute in alot of instances if you figure gp on parts and labor. Sure stacks up, so I do understand your problem. Again, no offense implied.

• joecval

March 15, 2011 at 10:25 pm

In my town we have 3-4 parts stores to choose from. I used to spread my dollars around between the major 3. But as you know time is money and the store with the quickest delivery on average as well as the best counter service and competitive price gets my business. I also take into account how well they stand behind me when a part fails. Every year more of my dollars get spent at one store because of the timely service. If you can’t switch parts stores, try to be more proactive in your parts ordering. Oh and since I use MOD I tend to favorite the store that has there catalog (with online ordering, pics, specs ect) attached to my estimator program. A huge time saver and reduces a lot of the wrong parts being ordered

• timsmall

March 21, 2011 at 9:19 pm

We had the same problem and we switched to Advance Auto Parts.

Delivery time now 20 mins as opposed to 1-2 hours. We don’t use them for everything but time is money and with labor at $1.15 a min we save at least $46 (bay time) just by using Advance as opposed to NAPA !

• Alan Ollie

March 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm

We only do 9-10 VW or Audis a day We have 4 runs a day from both World Pac and IMC. and 2 runs a day from 4 new car stores .We stock 75% of what we need but it always seems like we have to take at least 1-2 runs a day for parts. I don’t know how you guys get your efficiency rate over 110% not stocking parts.My hat off to ya all . Ollie

• davidpass

March 22, 2011 at 1:08 am

Forum , Ther are lots of great ideas here. I belive that the best approach is to let your supplier know about your service issue. If you order online, track the time and ask the driver to document the time of delivery. Present this as evidence. Time is money as well as efficiency of the shop, bay and technician. Our customers value their time almost as much as their money. Use the suppliers that are going to best enable your business to succeed. Thanks

David