Home » Forums » Equipment And Tools » Laptop and PCs

Home Forums Equipment And Tools Laptop and PCs

• Laptop and PCs

Posted by rdavis on March 11, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Does everyone supply PC and or laptops to your employees for work purposes?  Not Scanner laptops etc.  Seems as computers and laptops are becoming a significant cost (replacements every year or so) I pay for diagnostic programs and everything to interact with my shop software.  But between anti virus software and dropping and so called “normal” everyday stuff in a shop environment it seems to be getting oout of hand.  What do you do or is your policy?

paw replied 10 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tom

March 11, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Since the late 90’s we have always supplied desktops, laptops (for each tech at his box), and now tablets for each tech in the shop (they have their own smart phones). The only time we ever replaced anything is because it became too old/slow for what it was needed for (several years). But I also know of some shops where the techs supply their own laptops (and probably tablets soon).

Annual replacement seems to me to be a bit excessive, but that’s just me. I know that you can buy hardware designed for tough environments and add extended warranties that are all but “unconditional”. We did that with the new tablets we just bought (eliminated paper in the shop). Sounds like that may be just what you need.

• proersma

March 12, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Small tip but could save a decent amount of money and allow your computers to run faster. Our shop was running Norton Anti virus on our computers and it was making them quite slow (uses a lot of ram). And we had to pay for subscription regularly. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and we have not had a problem with virus since we switched to it. If you do have a virus problem Maleware MaleBytes is great for virus problems and it is also free. Just a tip to save some money.

• paw

March 13, 2014 at 10:10 am

We have a laptop for each full time tech and use a wall mount monitor for easier viewing, Have 1 tablet in our roll around diagnostic cabinet. It is used mostly for wiring diagrams without printing and wasting paper. Diagnostic flowcharts etc. Cabinet also has a single laptop used for our Ford IDS, GM MDI and Starmobile Chrysler, Pico, VAG etc. This is a Panasonic toughbook, This is NOT to be used for anything else to avoid problems.  Have Norton on all of them, No problems