Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » If You Are Using Direct Mail – You Need To Be Aware of These

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops If You Are Using Direct Mail – You Need To Be Aware of These

• If You Are Using Direct Mail – You Need To Be Aware of These

Posted by Josh Davis on April 29, 2019 at 3:26 pm

If you are currently sending or considering sending out direct mail by carrier route, there is one specific type of address you should be aware of called a Drop Stop AKA Drop Address.

A Drop Stop is a “locked” location where postal carriers do not deliver mail to the individual units or boxes. They “drop” the mail in a designated location for the individual complex to distribute.

Take a look at the attached. This photo is from a client of mine from years ago that wanted to test this area and mail this specific complex that we identified to be classified as a Drop Stop.

*Although the majority of Drop Addresses are apartment complexes, the vast majority of apartment complexes are NOT considered drop address apartments. 

In addition to designated apartment complexes, some other types of drop addresses are some gated communities, trailer parks, etc. There are no absolute rules or policies for establishing an address as a drop delivery location. The determination of a drop delivery location is based on several factors. It may be the choice of the recipients at the address such as for gated communities or prestigious high-rise condominiums that the residents don’t wish to have their physical address information disclosed and elect instead to have their mail distributed by their building management. Where a delivery location is defined as a business delivery point such as a trailer park, the USPS may make the determination that all mail will be delivered to a central location and the responsibility for distribution to the individual recipients will be made by other than USPS personnel.

All that said, the first step is to identify if any of the addresses in your area are classified as drop addresses. From here I typically always recommend removing these from a saturation mailer. You could have a tenant that sees a special offer and simply takes all of them or someone doesn’t like an employee at your business or had a bad experience, etc, etc.  and simply takes them and dumps them in the trash.

In my opinion in 99.8% of cases it makes no sense to pay for postage on pieces that may just get dropped on a table. I’m sure you would much rather have your direct mail marketing going to a physical address that you know will get delivered into the intended recipient’s mailbox. 

If you have any questions regarding Drop Addresses or would like to see if there are any in your immediate area, please let me know.  

Josh Davis
    Mail Shark
    Executive Vice President of Sales
    Direct: 484-948-1611
    Email: Josh@TheMailShark.com
    http://www.TheMailShark.com/Auto

Josh Davis replied 4 years, 12 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.