Home » Forums » Everything Else » #172 Who are your Primary Competitors? Sample Tip from Premium Area

Home Forums Everything Else #172 Who are your Primary Competitors? Sample Tip from Premium Area

• #172 Who are your Primary Competitors? Sample Tip from Premium Area

Posted by AMN Admin on May 4, 2017 at 11:29 am

Who are your Primary Competitors? – Free Sample Tip from the Premium Member area.

Can you name them? Are you sure, or is it an educated guess? For most shop owners it’s the latter. How could you make your reply more accurate? Actually, it’s right in front of you every day. Put a reminder on your tech work sheets right now to save the oil change stickers that the techs remove and put them in a container just for that purpose (next to the oil change sticker printer is perfect). Assign someone to empty it weekly and create a spreadsheet with the results. These are the shops where your customers definitely have been – the ones who are emailing and mailing them just like you do.

garymm replied 6 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Alan Ollie

May 4, 2017 at 12:31 pm

I look at web results every day. I need to do the window sticker sheet.

Will do and post a followup.

• ckostik

May 6, 2017 at 8:49 pm

The window stickers are a great idea! Another thought for dealerships, go to your parts department and run a top 100 parts customer list. Look for the independent repair shops that are buying a lot of captive parts. They are installing them on your customer’s vehicles. You can even calculate how much labor sales you are losing to them using your average parts to labor sales on ROs.

• garymm

May 9, 2017 at 8:53 am

We have our techs place the old window sticker on the RO.  Gives us a good ideal of who looked at the car last.  There’s always good information in things people throw away.  Watch any police show on TV.

Our biggest competitor is always ourselves.  Did we take care of the customer correctly, handle their complaints, present a well thought out estimate?  Or just throw some things at them and hope they buy.  I pay attention to what shops around me do on-line (reviews/web site), but I can’t control what they do.  I concentrate on continuous improvement in my shop.