Home » Forums » Everything Else » Abandoned Vehicles, Not Paid For, or Left at Your Shop for Any Other Reason

Home Forums Everything Else Abandoned Vehicles, Not Paid For, or Left at Your Shop for Any Other Reason

• Abandoned Vehicles, Not Paid For, or Left at Your Shop for Any Other Reason

Posted by Site Administrator on September 6, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Abandoned Vehicles, Not Paid For, or Left at Your Shop for Any Other Reason

One of the most common questions we receive here at Automotive Management Network is: “What can I do with this vehicle sitting in my parking lot because of _________?” The answer can vary greatly depending on the details of what has occurred so far and what the laws are where the shop is located. The process is rarely fast, so prepare yourself for that going in.

First, put together a folder of all the paperwork and details, so you are not searching when you have someone on the phone asking you for them.

Second, begin the calling process to find out what the rules are for your situation. You can also try email, but with issues like this, it’s often best to call. You may have to leave voice mails. Call frequently if your voice mails are not being returned. You may be put on hold for long periods. Just put your phone on speaker, go back to work, and be patient. The thing to remember here is to be persistent, but also be nice once you get to talk to someone.

1: Call your city or township

2: Call your county

3: Call your state – This is often where you will end up but start with the others to make sure you are not missing something.

Next, follow their instructions, complete the forms, and jump through all the hoops. Once you learn the process save the information, so you don’t have to start from scratch next time.

Last, ask yourself how you might have prevented this in the first place, then create some of your own rules at your shop for you and your staff to follow to reduce the chances of it happening again.

Alan Ollie replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Alan Ollie

September 14, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I’ve had over 15 cars at my shop this year. If the car is left more than two weeks after you’ve notified the customer pick up in Florida you can file a lien. I use a company that specializes in liens. You have to know the rules but we have gotten many cars that I’ve sold for $5000 -10,000. I’m stuck with a couple of junkers that aren’t worth the 300 to 400 dollars it cost for the lien.

In the 20 some years I’ve been in business in the past 3 to 5 years I filed more liens than I have my whole life time. [attachment file=”23C0234B-5638-4CE3-B5C7-4DAAE7B85E75.jpeg”]

I have a rule if the customer thinks they can come up with the money to fix it and they are calling me back when I notify them and don’t act like ghosts I work with them and don’t file a lien.

PS: Look out for repo trucks trying to go near lot, we have a nice fenced-in acre lot . Sometimes there’s big bounties on these cars and the guys really want them, so block the car in well .

I want to lien file you do not have to talk to the customer or to the bank. So that’s why I use Rainbow Title in Hollywood Florida, she handles everything and I don’t have to worry about anything.

In this world it really sucks people can’t afford high-end European cars they buy and can’t afford to fix them.

• Alan Ollie

September 14, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to mention at least 10 times the bank paid us our $125 a day storage charges, administration fee, and for the repair, so that’s another $15,000- $20,000.

That’s not my business model but I’ve been too nice for 15 years. And space is at a premium.