Auto Shop Management Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

• Posted by Aaron Schreur on October 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I am trying to get some rough prices together to have a new shop built as I am ready to grow.  I like the idea of a “herring bone” setup with hoist on the left and right side and doors front and rear to pull straight through. I would like 3, 2 post and an alignment rack. and maybe 2 flat stalls.  The office would be an attachment off of this.  Looking for the most cost effective way to do this.  What is the smallest but not cramped setup that would fit this?

My favorite idea is to have a parts room, bathroom, office all in the center with tech boxes against this wall so it would be a horse shoe around this. But I cant picture how this would start small and be easily expandable or cost effective to have built with my budget in mind.  Some ideas there would be great as this is my is my preference.  Maybe if it was just built as an “L” for now around what would be the center… not sure

Layout pictures would also be great I have searched the internet everywhere and there is not much.

mas-mor1 replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
Advertiser / Sponsor
  • Tom Ham

October 21, 2016 at 1:39 pm
    I’ve worked in many different shops over the years and found this type of set up (see photo – I’m referring only to the half of the building with the black overhang) to be the most efficient and easiest to work in. Equipment, etc. is stored in the front quadrant as you view the photo. The rear quadrant is open with tool boxes and benches. Distance from the front of a car in bay #1 to front of car in bay #5 is short and the tool box is on the way there. Also, the all glass doors provide a lot of light.
  • mas-mor1

October 31, 2016 at 5:32 pm

I’ve always liked back to back set ups — easy ingress/egress — good natural light — simple ti add on to — seem to lend themselves to high volume possibilities