• November 3, 2008 at 12:44 am#63447
    vdepot
    Participant

I tried it probably worst the worst thing I ever did. Anytime someone asks for a written quote. I e-mail back a ton of questions .Then I tell them to send me two phone #s and the best time to call so we can discuss the exact repair. Most of the time I can get the car to my shop and show them the repairs that a chain store said they needed were unnecessary and sell what is needed. I seems like the people who keep on asking for the e-mail only quote are the bottom feeders.

September 23, 2013 at 12:03 pm#73275
    blvdauto

I have the same thing, but instead of giving a price, I use it as an opportunity to bring them into the shop for a free no obligation estimate, even if they know whats wrong……

Nelson V.

September 26, 2013 at 6:19 am#73279
    Tom Ham
    Participant

Each situation is a little different. Some are a waste of time, but we have also ended up with great customers.

It’s really not a lot different than phone estimate requests. Just throwing out numbers to everyone rarely works. A “no estimate by phone or email policy” also rarely works. There is a balance somewhere in the middle that a good SA will find. 

There will be situations where a request comes in for a “do it right” price on a something like a timing belt. The price is sent and a reply soon comes for an appointment time.

Aside from all that, just by having a specifically designated “estimate request” form on a shop website puts that shop ahead of the competition who has no such form. 
    June 2, 2015 at 3:28 pm#74050

Sorry to dig up an old post but the email estimate debate has recently become an issue with some of my clients.

My position is that “anything” that gets people to contact you is good. Once they make contact, no matter how, it is up to your SA to shift the conversation to a form that is most productive. Some shops are having good success with text messaging. Sure texting is an even more restrictive form of communications but it is just another avenue to guide prospective new customers to your door. By refusing to use it you are only loosing that whole segment of population where email or texting is their main form of communications.

Another problem I see with many estimate forms, or all forms for that matter, is that they ask too many questions. Also making too many fields mandatory is a big turn off. People are impatient or don’t know the serial number or engine size and making those pieces of information required just prevents them from contacting you. Make your forms as short as possible. Then move the conversation to voice/phone.

Having an estimate form is a good call to action that should be at the bottom of every page. Some people are hesitant to pick up the phone but will make the first step by emailing. I have also been adding a simple “I Have A Question” form on pages and a surprising number of people will use it rather than the standard contact form or estimate forms. Not sure if it is because it is just there when they think to contact you or that it is just a very simple form that only requires three things: name, phone OR email, and their question. Make it easy for them.

The whole point is encouraging people to contact you. Don’t place road blocks and friction to your sales process. Grease your sales the funnel any way you can…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.