Warning: Attempt to read property "post_parent" on null in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/buddyboss-platform/bp-forums/functions.php on line 860

Warning: Attempt to read property "post_parent" on null in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/buddyboss-platform/bp-forums/functions.php on line 860

Re: Editorial - Shop Licensing – What can we do with $100,000,000? - Automotive Management Network
Home » Forums » Everything Else » Editorial – Shop Licensing – What can we do with $100,000,000? » Re: Editorial – Shop Licensing – What can we do with $100,000,000?

Home Forums Everything Else Editorial – Shop Licensing – What can we do with $100,000,000? Re: Editorial – Shop Licensing – What can we do with $100,000,000?

• Larry Moore

September 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I believe this is a hugely misunderstood subject and therefore most discussions are based on some idea of what a shop licensing program is all about. Strictly speaking a shop licensing program is only a way to collect money for keeping a list of people who have paid the money and is usually done by government to pay for more government employees to push paper. 

Years ago, when I had the time and energy to study such things I researched Mandatory Professional Certification and Licensing (MPC&L).  In order to have a successful program, ie one that improves the quality of work for the consumer, improves working conditions for the industry employee, and provides a level playing field for the shop owner – all of the above elements must be present and complete.  NO automotive program in the US or Canada has ever had ALL or even most of these elements.  Most good examples of MPC&L programs are done in professions such as doctors, lawyers, architects, etc..  Even so no program is ever a cure all, someone will find a way to mess with it.  The goal is build a program that is flexible enough to adjust over time and continue to be effective at accomplishing the goals.
    The data collected on programs that meet this criteria fill a notebook but let me summarize:
    – Mandatory, all participants in the industry must participate fully.  What ever rules apply to one apply to all, without meeting the rules of the program the business or individual cannot be legally employed or participate in the benefits of the program.
    Professional – as set of base standards and best practices is established by an oversight board made up of industry professionals that are elected and or appointed for a set period of time.  These standards are constantly scrutinized and modified as appropriate to accomplish the goals of the program.
    Certification – requires knowledge in specified subject areas which are trained and tested.  The best programs require a period of understudy or apprenticeship with the “master” being accountable for their apprentice for some period of time after they are certified to meet all requirements.  A new program allows grandfathering based on any number of criteria
    Licensing – a license to operate is issued based on meeting the above criteria the license is subject to withdrawal for specific behaviors which can be confirmed by an oversight board made up of peer’s in the industry.

Notice that the word government does not appear in the above description.  Instead the governing board for this type of program is accountable to some element of government to assure the program meets the goals.  As long as the program works the government stays out of the picture.  It is meant to be established, operated and adjusted BY THE INDUSTRY OR PROFESSION.  It is sanctioned by a government body, usually state or federal.

Okay now my two cents, which I have no doubt will bring me some flaming comments – our industry historically has been composed primarily of anarchists – by that I mean people who have gone out of their way to make sure no one can tell them what or how to do something.  I know because I was one, but that also means that this is an almost impossible group to organize, even if it can be shown that it probably would be to everyone’s advantage. 

True professionals understand the value of standardized processes and procedures that are designed to assure the best possible odds for a desired outcome.  This applies to mechanical processes but also is true for business and professional practices.  Our industry participants have a huge fear of “government” even if that governing body is their own peers!  They believe that only they know the “true answer” and therefore working with others to find a solution will never work.  In other words they don’t play well with each other!

There are many excellent examples of good MPC&L programs, both in the US and the rest of the world, but it requires the participants in the industry coming together to make it work.  Based on that I don’t know that it could ever happen in my lifetime.  🙁

Just my two cents.