Home » Forums » Everything Else » Rotate with 1/2 balance » Reply To: Rotate with 1/2 balance

Home Forums Everything Else Rotate with 1/2 balance Reply To: Rotate with 1/2 balance

• rsautospecialties

August 19, 2018 at 7:02 pm

If I had a road force including a lateral force balancer it might see changes. Yes, Tom, Florida has smooth roads. I think the most important thing with extended life oil changes is people drive their cars with the tires low or at the minimum pressure. That scallops the tires. We see 1/3 of the cars coming in our shop with chopped tires with full tread. I tell my guys to fill to the maximum psi on the side of the tires. That way the next time they come in we have the option of lowering the psi if the center wears more than the other side. And we hardly ever rotate tires unless the customer asks. I tell my guys to look and feel the tires note the wear on the report.

Telling your “guys” to put in the maximum psi on the side of the tire is WRONG. Think Ford EXPLODER… “Firestone argued that Ford’s recommended 26 psi inflation pressure was too low and should have been 30 psi.”   Monkeys at the tire shops just put in the wive’s tale 32 PSI. You are doing the exact same as the tires you are dealing with were not just designed for car A, but many cars… and EACH car has a recommended tire pressure…adhere to those pressures…

Here in  Florida its best to set the tire 1-2 psi more than spec, MAX!  We get “cold” spells from time to time during “winter” and setting the correct pressure of lets say 36 psi at time of service, because that is the cars spec…. then the next day we get a “cold” spell, and customer starts car first thing in the morning, and the TPMS light is on… and start questioning if the shop “guy” did his job right… Putting doubt in the customers mind… ” I doubt he checked my tires, I’m not going back there” OR “that bastard didn’t check my tire pressures” and comes back to the shop making a scene in front of your other customers…not a good thing.

So Alan, lesson to learn here is NOT to put tires max psi rating… put 1-2 more psi than CAR spec, during “winter” time here in FL….the other 90% of the year, put in the CAR spec psi.