Home » Forums » Expense Control & Financial » What Key Performance Indicators do you monitor?

Home Forums Expense Control & Financial What Key Performance Indicators do you monitor?

• What Key Performance Indicators do you monitor?

Posted by Bob Depontes on July 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I’m wondering what KPI’s folks are monitoring regularly, and why. Is it per car average? Is it gross profit per R.O.? H.P.R.O.? What are your favorits numbers to monitor, with what frequency and why? Parts profit? Just curious, what does your management dashboard look like?

gzloom replied 10 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Tom

July 26, 2013 at 6:22 am

Depends on the time period. The longer the time, the larger the list. 

The basic weekly list includes: 
    *GP% for parts and labor and total
    *New customers
    *Effective rate
    *Average RO
    *Car count
    *Hours billed
    *Discounts
    *Mix of makes
    *Sales
    *Trending of above #s
  • raghudevan

July 29, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Hi,

I would include the warranty claim and defects per new car sold in the last 4 weeks.
    Raghu
    Chennai, India
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 5, 2013 at 11:50 am

Each week we track the following:

Sales $
    GP% 
    Car count
    Effective labor rate
    Hours billed
    Profit per hour
    Average $ per RO
    average hours per RO
    New customers
    Discounts
    Each Tech’s hours
    These all fit on a one page sheet that i developed. It takes about 15 mins to fill out for both locations. It accomplishes two things: 1. Forces me to look at the numbers.   2. Gives my staff an idea of where they stand compared to the other location. 
    Hope this helps.
  • imam

August 6, 2013 at 2:27 am

May include;

Customers satisfaction

Work quality level

ENGR. IMAM

imam.bux@ssgc.com.pk

• joecval

August 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Business Summary Reviewed in Weekly Shop meeting to include:

Avg RO, Car Count, Gross Sales and Tech Hours vs. Clocked Hours- Compare these to our goals.

I personally review every week:

GP Parts,

GP Labor,
    Total GP,

Effective Labor Rate,

Reconcile Tech Pay:
    With Labor Sales, 
    Reconcile SA Pay:
    With Gross Sales,
    RO Count,
    LOF Count,
    New Customer Count,
    Parts Sales by Vendor:
    Check for missed cost input on RO’s.
  • sutton32-aol-com

January 20, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Would like to see what you all actually do with these numbers. I get looking at them, but then what? ive been at this for twenty five years, am I doing something wrong?

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    January 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

Sutton32,

The point of tracking these numbers is to monitor your business performance and know where you stand. You should establish a goal for each of the numbers that you track, and then work to achieve or exceed that goal. We track the numbers to see where we can improve, and it helps SA’s to understand what numbers are important and how to know if they are doing a good job, at least numbers-wise.

• gzloom

January 23, 2014 at 8:41 am

For years my most expensive tech turned out to be my worst as I began to measure his labor hours produced. He looked busy, but the numbers didn’t prove out. This would never have been revealed if I hadn’t started measuring it.  Measure, analyze and correct.  Your right on about Customers.  It cost hundreds to bring in a customer but how do we retain them and more importantly what % are we retaining.  

Monthly we look at the new customers of  the 6 month before and measure retention.  We are averaging 53%.  But this is not without a system to bring those customers back which include

• Exit Strategy… Ask for the next appointment and the importance of maintenance
    • Call Back Strategy – Call 2 weeks later in reference to work left on the table
    • Email/Text Strategy…. Email system to touch base quarterly.
    If my % drops I know one of these are lacking.  That’s why you have to measure monthly.  
    As an owner I focus on Measuring which is hard if you’re turning wrenches.  I needed to stop working in my Biz and start working on it!
    Thanks
    George