Home » Forums » Auto and Truck Shop Management Software » Shop Management Software – Links, Ratings and Reviews

Home Forums Auto and Truck Shop Management Software Shop Management Software – Links, Ratings and Reviews

• Shop Management Software – Links, Ratings and Reviews

Posted by Site Administrator on August 22, 2014 at 9:41 am

If you have experience using one or more of the software below, please rate on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best. Comments also welcome.

Accutrack Shop Pro
    All Systems Max
    AllData
    Auto Biz
    Auto Repair Bill
    Auto Repair Boss
    Auto Repair Master
    Auto Shop Wiz
    Auto Traker
    Auto Wise
    Auto Workshop Manager
    AutoSoft Online
    Bay-Master Shop
    Car Biz Pro
    Digital Wrench
    E2 Shop System
    FastTrak
    SMOTGO
    Garage Partner
    Gem-Car
    Genesis Four
    Ideal Computer Systems
    Invomax
    IPM
    Lankar Pro 9
    MasterControl
    Master Link
    Master Repair
    Maxx Traxx Pro CE
    MFS
    Mitchell1
    Motor Ware
    NAPA Tracs
    Omnique
    Pace – Yes
    Pluss
    Pro Repair
    Profit Boost
    Protractor
    Quick Quote
    R.O. Writer
    Repair Manager
    Repair Shop Director
    Shop Boss Pro
    Shop Controller
    Shop Key
    Shop Max 1
    Smart Auto Shop
    Star Service
    Stocktrac
    VAST – MAM
    Win AIMS
    Winworks Auto Shop 

Note: If you know of another company that should be included in this list, please send us the information using the Contact Us link near the top of the page, or have the company contact us.
    Greg Battles replied 3 years, 7 months ago 42 Members · 44 Replies
  • 44 Replies
  • wrenchboy

August 22, 2014 at 10:25 am

Maxx Traxx Pro CE  I would rate it a 6.  When it was a dos based program my rating would have been more like 8.  When the program went to windows base, a lot of good features were changed (not for the better). 

• Richard Zaagman

August 22, 2014 at 10:43 am

PACE, YES system.  7.  Not bad, but we often have issues with system locking up, strange things happening that we need to call support about.  Support is pretty responsive.  On line parts ordering is very poor, at least our experience has been.  ROW seems to have the on line parts ordering thing pretty well perfected, at least from what I hear.

• garystrans

August 28, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Maxx Traxx pro is a good solid 9 love the support and the full features included for very reasonable cost. the whole support team is super to work with also the online ordering feature is very easy to use.

• francisautomotive

September 1, 2014 at 11:55 am

Pace, we love it. We started with Allen in 1983 and manny systems since. Glad we chose YES

• Don

September 2, 2014 at 9:21 am

RO Writer – 8; has may great features such as Smart E Cat (see all your vendors live inventory with our price matrix at the same time on one screen) tied to labort operations.  Support is pretty good. 

• DALE

September 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm

While we struggled with RO Writer for years with it locking up & running slow. However given the new owners of MIdas, Big O tire ??? and with that RO Writer there has been renewed interest our issues. System now has been running great for the last 10 months. I give it a 8
    dale

• CASEY SWAMP

September 2, 2014 at 1:53 pm

RO Writer, it’s a great program. I would have given it a 10 if the training for the diffferent modules were better. I’ve had it for 5 years and been requesting training for certain modules and have yet to be connected to the right person. everything else is awesome 

• andre remillard

September 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm

We’ve been using RO Writer for 16 years. Would give it an 8.5 .

• bilmac

September 2, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Lankar Pro 9: Been using Lankar for years. Price is reasonable and you get great service. I would rate it an 9. Why a 9 you ask. There is always room for improvement with any program

• john a zerafa

September 2, 2014 at 2:54 pm

been using invomax for about 14 yrs.would rate it a 6.not bad but not great.no system problems but not enough updates .like to see an easier way to upload vin# & being able to access my system from my ipad.

• Scott Waddle

September 2, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Protractor .Net  8

The nice thing is every week there is an update and they are improving fast.  We were using the Protractor Legacy software since 2004 and upgraded to the new version July 1st.

• J.P. Glenn

September 2, 2014 at 4:33 pm

RO Writer – 6.  It does have many great features, but is  outdated as far as software goes (in my opinion).  The reporting side is good and I do like Smart eCat (but you have to pay monthly for that feature).   ROW is very “clunky” and has tons of minor issues that can make it very frustrating on a daily basis.  Support is always good, no issues there.  Training was not a strong point to say the least.  As far as I know there hasn’t been any significant updates in many many years. ROW was in the top 3 about 10 years ago, but without any updates I do not feel it is even top 5 in todays market.  I am constantly finding myself researching other programs.  They do seem to be changing the company since being bought out though. Time will tell.

• ashcanharry2

September 3, 2014 at 8:08 am

AUTOBIZ – RATE IT 9 – THIS SOFTWARE HAS EASE OF USE – REASONABLE PRICE – TIRE MODULE – VERY GOOD TECH SUPPORT. LET’S FACE IT – I CHECKED OUT ALOT OF THE PROGRAMS – SOME DO EVERYTHING BUT SCATCH YOUR BACK. HOW MUCH DO WE REALLY NEED & HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH.

• richie

September 3, 2014 at 9:54 am

We use GBMS Goodyear system.  It is about to be replaced by VAST from MAM. I would rate GBMS a 5. Does most things needed just not easily.  Reporting is terrible.

• hoauto

September 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm

We use Mitchell Management. I would give it a 7-7.5

For the most part it seems to work ok, Parts ordering is ok. Are we the only shop using Mitchell? I do not see any other shops so far rating it.

Andy

• engsamir

September 18, 2014 at 6:47 pm

hi  i need the ESI TRONIC  2014 Q1.Q2 .Q3 SOFTWARE  with kegenaret  thanks

• gzloom

September 22, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I’ve had MaxxTrax since 1992. I would rate it overall an 9 since a 10 would be incredible. – a 10 for support though.  Immediate support and results. I’ve never been down for more then moments.  A very stable system.  I have looked at other systems over the years and found them just a lot of fluff.  I need to get in and out. We use most of the features and reports. 

• Steve Fowler

September 22, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I’ve been using Genesis Four products since 1994. I have the latest version of Service Shop. The Tech Time Management and time clock are the best that I have seen. The reporting and marketing is very good. The program is solid and doesn’t crash. Although they have provided many fixes and enhancements, I would like to see updates happen more frequently.  Overall love the program and wouldn’t think of changing.  I’ve observed a lot shop programs over the years and not been overly impressed. I will say that R.O. Writer’s Smart E Cat is an awesome feature. I have met many shop owners over the years that have had a lot of issues with ROW crashing and have had some other quirks. I rate Service Shop 8.5

Steve Fowler

• Alan Ollie

September 22, 2014 at 9:47 pm

We use Mitchell Management. I would give it a 7-7.5

For the most part it seems to work ok, Parts ordering is ok. Are we the only shop using Mitchell? I do not see any other shops so far rating it.

Andy

We have been with Mitchell since 1998 too lazy to change. We also use BoltOn add on software for inspections .

• shadowoods

September 23, 2014 at 10:05 am

We use Mitchell1.  I would rate it 7.5.  I’m learning how to pull info from the database using Excel and Word to do marketing/follow-ups.  The canned reports are not user friendly when trying to accumulate customer information.  They have a marketing arm that provides the customers with on-line access to their vehicle’s history, can add what service was done elsewhere, and recommends maintenance items based on the vehicles mileage.  Still learning.  The two services is almost $500/mth.  I’m thinking this is expensive — what are other programs costing????

• trannyman

September 29, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Currently using Winworks Auto Shop, rate it 1 since that’s the lowest score. Program has some nice features, but it is such a badly written piece of software and it has such a clunky feel to use that I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I’ll be nice and give customer service a 3 due to they work on call back system which would sometimes be 24 hrs. On a good day it was 2-3 hrs. I gave up calling and just figure it out, which wastes a lot of time, 

Last used Mitchell ( version 5.9 & 6.4 I believe ) a little over a year ago, rate it 7-8 based on that. The newer version is probably much better from some of the upgrades I hear it got. I give customer service a 8 as it was always pretty good, just some long ( 15 -20 minutes ) hold times once and awhile.
    Last used Profit Boost about 6 years ago when I had my shop, Rate it 10 based on that version. Customer service was always great also. Only draw back for some might be not having a good internet connection since it’s web based.

• str53

October 12, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Anybody using Invomax?

• cwright

October 28, 2014 at 10:38 am

We use Mitchell but would like to find another that is not so expensive and user friendly

• Mark Bergasse

February 16, 2015 at 7:22 pm

we use Protractor .Net and i give it a “9”  we used Pace for many years, then moved over to Protractor in 2003? But they are nothing compared to .Net, we switched in April 14′ it still has some things to fix, but weekly bug fixes, upgrades and enhancements are great. I like that i can have multipul RO’s open [if need be] and add service packages from the inspection results, then estimate all jobs in one sweep, and the Oil change packages, with default MIN/MAX $ is excellent for oil sell prices

• stevejust

March 18, 2015 at 10:27 pm

we do everything in QuickBooks. if you’re using shop specific software, what do you take to your accountant at tax time?

• Tom

March 19, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Steve, most shops have management software which handles everything from inventory to marketing to parts ordering to invoicing, etc. etc. 

The same shops often have QB or some other accounting software – which they use for – accounting.
    A few shops have it all in one, but that is not very common.
    Much of the management software integrates with QB.
    If the only software a shop has is QB for everything the shop spends huge amounts of time doing things that shop management software will handle in very little time or none because of the automation. 
  • johntwhaley

October 22, 2015 at 9:31 am

The Social CRM system works great and and integrates seamlessly with the Manager SE program for live real time interaction with customer reviews. I’ve compared the cost and it is by far the most affordable .

• grandblancauto

October 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Shop Boss Pro
    5/10 – Not Bad Program just hard to navigate a bit and the design came off as
    not being updated for a long time

Bay-Master Shop
    4/10 – It was feature rich but the navigation made that a negative thing for
    me.

AllData Manage
    Online – 7/10 My best so far, still looking to see if Michelin or another is
    better. But since we are already paying for AllDataPro it made sense to spend
    the extra $80 for their system rather than another.

• Richard Ehler

March 22, 2017 at 9:48 am

We use TireShop by FreedomSoft. Nice program. Works for our quicklube, tireshop, all services in one store. We do $2.7M a year in sales and 900 cars per month. WANTING
    digital inspections and thinking of changing to RO Writer or Mitchell to integrate
    with Bolt- ON. Any advice would be appreciated

• William Hill

March 23, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Mitchell is the 800Lb Gorilla in the room. They are one of the easiest to learn, Pro Demand is better than Identifx, or Alldata. Is constantly improving, And there training is second to none. If you go to a training class put on by Mitchell. You will always want to go.. First class, And the Trainers are top notch.

Page 1 of 2