Home » Forums » Employees » service writer pay

Home Forums Employees service writer pay

• honest1stark

May 25, 2016 at 3:24 pm

That’s a tough one. I can tell you I have a 5 bay shop that see 5k a years in cars and does 1.4 million in sales. I have a manager he makes 120k a year and his assistant is about 65k a year

• Rick White

May 25, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Jeff,

Before anyone can really answer your question, you need to provide more information. What’s your ratio of new customers to existing per month? If you deal with a lot of new customers, your average sales will be lower. What kind of vehicles are you working on now? What percentage of your sales is maintenance? Once you can give more information, it will help give you a range of what’s reasonable to expect.
    If you’d like to discuss in private, you can shoot me an email to rick@180biz.com and I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can!
    Sincerely,
    Rick
  • mas-mor1

May 26, 2016 at 8:22 am

We track Opps created vs Opps captured on  Service Writer specific basis for dollars and for jobs — jobs run in the 45 to 60% range, $$ a bit less — it is an inexact science at best, so we focus on individual baselines and personal growth 

• bellauto

June 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Mike Lenci
    I have an excellent service adviser asst. manager that won’t work on commission. His average ticket is around $450. I feel he could sell more off the inspection sheets but feel he has the $ threshold. Some jobs run over his estimate like unforeseen issues and find it hard to contact the owner to explain the increase in the estimate so the tech has to lose some time.
    Any help on this. The employee is a “keeper”.

• acoliajja

June 4, 2016 at 10:11 am

If he will not work off commission he is not a keeper , he just wants to be comfortable and not work hard for his pay . The fact that he will not work on commission tells me he has doubt’s about his own ability .     Jeff

• Matt Fanslow

June 15, 2016 at 3:47 pm

If he/she doesn’t want to work on commission, then perhaps he/she simply doesn’t want his/her best interest to directly conflict with the client’s best interest.

Oh wait…you’ll probably have provisions for that since if he/she would do that they’d be penalized and/or dismissed.

If he/she is being paid to do a task, he/she should be working their hardest and best with no carrots dangled.  If not, they can go not-work elsewhere.

Commission is just a way to relieve the duty of leadership.

Don’t get me wrong, I see the flip-side.  No commission, production drops.  Commission everyone and production increases.  Still doesn’t justify it.

We give bi-annual raises; permanent pay raises.  They have to earn them.  Many times, they don’t get a raise, and they know why.

Pay your people as much as you can afford.  Base it off what they produce, but don’t forget what obstacles you may be creating that prevent them from producing as much as they could (meaning, why punish them for your ineptitude, punish yourself).