Home » Forums » Auto and Truck Shop Management Software » RO Writer Inventory

Home Forums Auto and Truck Shop Management Software RO Writer Inventory

• Posted by dvaughn45 on November 11, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Hello,

We have RO Writer at our shop and just about got all the bugs worked out, but we are having a problem with RO Writer tracking our inventory. The support is not helpful because every person says something different and the last one said there was no way to track inventory in RO Writer closely. Has anyone had this problem or something similar? Any suggestions? We import daily to another accounting software and have verified the problem isn’t in that program or the program we use to import.

Thanks!

Dee V.

billqual replied 9 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • hemitom

November 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

We have been using R.O. Writer for over 20 years and have never had a problem with the inventory module. Other things, yes. But not inventory.

• rowriter-rick

November 18, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Hi Dorothy,

There are a couple of configuration settings that control how inventory works in R.O. Writer, and Line Codes on parts can often times cause confusion.  I’ve run into issues before, but never been able to not resolve them.  If you are ordering parts on line and transferring parts to your repair order from your on line suppliers then the line codes must match the line codes you have set up in inventory in order for the parts to get pulled correctly.  Not knowing if you are using the AP module, processing cores and credits, etc… is also another area that needs to be considered, as well as your Work In Progress.  If you are posting parts directly to Work In Progress and by-passing inventory, then the value of your inventory in your accounting isoftware will be greater than your inventory in R.O. Writer by the amount of your non-stock parts in WIP.  Be happy to help you if I can- just reply to this post.
  • billqual

November 19, 2014 at 7:57 am

ROWriter allows you to sell parts that you do not have.  If the part number, line code or a/p was not done right you will have trouble when it is time to do inventory.  No matter how many times I tell my service writers to not close a ticket until the little spark plug symbol beside the parts are all there, they still get in a hurry and close a ticket before the purchase orders are posted.  My inventory has not been correct since I started with RoWriter and if you want to know what to stock for inventory, there is no easy way to decide or set stocking levels.

• jberberich

November 19, 2014 at 4:11 pm

RO Writer knows they have a problem with inventory and they do not have a solution. They have recorded the problem from our system. One example is declined service not releasing inventory back into stock. The usual response is “we think the next release will fix it.”

• billqual

November 24, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I have not detected ours doing that but will keep it in mind when we try to audit why our inventory is off.  We just updated to 1.30.117, what version are you on?