Home » Forums » Shop Design & Efficiency » Paint or Epoxy for older concrete floors

Home Forums Shop Design & Efficiency Paint or Epoxy for older concrete floors

• Paint or Epoxy for older concrete floors

Posted by mspecperformance on October 7, 2016 at 4:46 pm

What has you experienced to work for coating older concrete floors that have some cracks and pits?

I have used epoxy products to level out and fill in some cracks in the past and then coated with epoxy. Was nice for about a 18 months to a 2 years then chipping started to happen.
    What products have you guys used? Do you recommend skim coating with a concrete product for aesthetic purposes?
    I am assuming the best would be to pour new concrete and I am certainly not opposed to spending some money. I am just concerned that would cost entirely too much to make it worthwhile. 
    Tom replied 7 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tom

October 7, 2016 at 5:24 pm

I have researched this a lot over the years. Never did epoxy. Have done paint. Paint does not last long, but it is low cost and fairly easy to redo. Common for some shops around here to paint annually.

My impression is that epoxy done right is very, very expensive. 
    Also, regardless of how well you do it, it does not last very well in northern climates with a lot of snow, road salt and general road debris. These also tend to be areas where shops use firewrenches frequently which can mess the floors up fast.
    I have yet to see a shop in this kind of climate where the epoxy still looked reasonably decent after 2-3 years. If they exist, I’d like to know what they did to make it last.
    HTH
  • mspecperformance

October 7, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Agreed. I am purchasing a new building for a second shop and I am looking into solutions.

In regards to paint, any recommendations?
    Any experience with “epoxy paint” products? 
  • Tom

October 7, 2016 at 10:51 pm

If you are going to do something like repaint it once a year during Christmas break or something to that effect, the home garage stuff works OK – like one of the Rustoleum products. Simple, quick, looks good for a year.