Home » Forums » Everything Else » Can't Fix the Car

Home Forums Everything Else Can't Fix the Car

• Can't Fix the Car

Posted by jeremyryan on May 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I have a trailblazer in the shop that has an electrical issue that my best tech, that usually can fix anything especially electrical, has about 5-6 hours into.

The customer is being billed by the hour, but at this point we have been thru everything, the interior is in a million pieces, and are starting to believe we can not fix this car.

What is the best way to handle a situation like this?

The car has been there for 4 days, and now I have much better easier more profitable work in the shop that i need to focus on.

SpencersAuto replied 11 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Tom

May 14, 2012 at 10:50 am

What is it that you are trying to diagnose/fix?

• SpencersAuto

May 16, 2012 at 1:58 am

Tom Ham wrote:

> What is it that you are trying to diagnose/fix?

Tom from how I read it I don’t think he is looking for help in trying to figure out what is wrong with this vehicle. Though I would like to know what the customer concern and the info of what the vehicle and tests done, I think he is asking how to bow out and be paid.

Spence

• SpencersAuto

May 16, 2012 at 2:14 am

Jeremy Ryans wrote:

> I have a trailblazer in the shop that has an electrical issue that >my best tech, that usually can fix anything especially electrical, >has about 5-6 hours into.

>

Were these 5-6 hours spent productively?

Does the tech have the tools needed to perform the tests necessary?

Is he trained in the system and/or circuits he is testing?

> The customer is being billed by the hour, but at this point we >have been thru everything, the interior is in a million pieces, and >are starting to believe we can not fix this car.

>

Can not fix it or can not find what the issue is?

> What is the best way to handle a situation like this?

>

I would need more info such as what I listed above to give you an opinion.

> The car has been there for 4 days, and now I have much better > easier more profitable work in the shop that i need to focus on.

I think I know where this is heading but from what you are asking and the little info you have given… I read a vehicle is in your shop for 4 days but only 5-6 hours spent on it. Customer wants a vehicle back that is in pieces and no idea where to head. I would feel you have a certain responsablity to the customer even though you have other work. The reason this one is not profitable is where I would look real close at. Seems something needs to be changed but need some more answers being as I am not standing in your shop seeing all that is going on.

Jeremy I look forward to seeing your response

Spence

• SpencersAuto

May 20, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Jeremy Ryans wrote:

> I have a trailblazer in the shop that has an electrical issue that my best tech, that usually can fix anything especially electrical, has about 5-6 hours into.

>

> The customer is being billed by the hour, but at this point we have been thru everything, the interior is in a million pieces, and are starting to believe we can not fix this car.

>

> What is the best way to handle a situation like this?

>

> The car has been there for 4 days, and now I have much better easier more profitable work in the shop that i need to focus on.

Jeremy… You started this thread a week ago. Three responses to your opening post and none back from you. There is a box that can even email you when someone responds to let you know. I just felt the need to make another post in hopes of continuing the dialog. I think there is much to be learned and I thank you for starting it I would just like you to stay with what you started.

Have a good day

Spence

• jeremyryan

May 21, 2012 at 12:35 am

the symptom was no reverse lights and service 4wd light with 3 codes after being work on at another shop. customer wqas done dealing with that shop and thats why they didnt bring it back to them. well we ended up finding the problem, it was actually 2 problems wire broke actually in the casing deep in the harness, how that happened i have no idea, then 2 wires where actually cut into for whatever reason and criss crossed in the wire loom.

one of the crazier thing iv seen…

im mainly trans work but do the general stuff when slow, took the car in becuase we were starving for work then much better more profitable jobs with less a headache came in after it…

• hoauto

May 23, 2012 at 11:51 pm

This is a tough issue.

Several years ago, we made the decision NOT to work on vehicles that we would not make money on, just because we were slow. Many times those cars will bite you in the behind when you get busy. If you would not take it when you are busy, you probably should not take it at all. I know it is a tough call, especially when you need some cash flow to keep the doors open.

Consider it give it some thought. We have not been sorry that we made the call.

Andy

• SpencersAuto

May 24, 2012 at 12:50 am

Andy Cotey wrote:

> This is a tough issue.

>

> Several years ago, we made the decision NOT to work on vehicles that we would not make money on, just because we were slow. Many times those cars will bite you in the behind when you get busy. If you would not take it when you are busy, you probably should not take it at all. I know it is a tough call, especially when you need some cash flow to keep the doors open.

>

> Consider it give it some thought. We have not been sorry that we made the call.

>

> Andy

Andy’s thoughts was where I was headed as well. I would only add look at why you may not be able to make money at the job. From there decide if some training, tooling or something else may be worth looking into to make it work.

Spence