Home » Forums » Customer Service » Babbling

Home Forums Customer Service Babbling

• Babbling

Posted by chopshopcustoms on May 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I first would like to say that our new Office Staff person ‘Mary’ is great- she is definitely the person for the job here (finally!)

That being said, Im having a little bit of an issue that I need suggestions on how to resolve.

When ‘Mary’ speaks with clients on the phone and the call gets ‘interesting’ , she starts to babble- I mean really just talk 1000 mph and about nothing .

I think its a nervous reaction to conflict.

Ive had a client or two comment that she ‘keeps them on the phone for a long time’ making small talk as well- time is money in my book- how can I suggest she focus her conversations?

I was thinking of maybe sending her to a one day course on ‘how to resolve conflict and dealing with difficult customers’ but she also does this from time to time with our vendors. HELP!

chopshopcustoms replied 12 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • mylesj

May 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm

See if your local community colege gives Business Psychology 101. A good recommendation for any service writer or customer facing worker.

• rhopp

May 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Reminds me of the Steve Martin song; ‘Uh Oh, I Think My Masseuse Is Too

Chatty’

If this person is over the age of about thirteen, good luck changing

them. If they’re willing, it could happen, just not likely. Refer them to

the hair styling industry.

Sorry, cynic in full bloom today.

• the1tom

May 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I would suggest creating some random recordings of phone conversations. Then arrange a training meeting for the two of you to listen to the recordings and constructively dissect the parts of the conversations that need improvement. Or, seek out a training vendor that incorporates some role play exercises.

• ras

May 16, 2011 at 8:15 pm

1) is “mary’ getting the work done?

2) 1 or 2 clients have commented – out of how many that haven’t

3) most importantly your “vendors” should know better than to waste your staff’s time/ yourtime. even the tool salesman knows better than to waste time with techs.

there have been quite a few things i have learned from what may seem like simple conversation to some onlookers/bosses

• chopshopcustoms

May 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Is Mary getting the work done? yes and no. I find items missing becaus she has put them away and others left hanging – not always consitent.

How many clients have commented she babbles? Three currently- out of the current 15 I have who pay me well over $100K to build high end vehicle for them. They are CEOs, CFO’s and COOs as well as celebrities and other high profile individuals.My concern is that she wastes their time and can also come off as an idiot (not that strong but not sure what other term right now) because she is literally talking in circles about nothing.

Vendors ‘wasting’ time: They arent- they are telling me they can’t get her off the phone at times because she ‘talks about nothing’ or tries to make chit chat.

Im worried that her chatter mouth is hurting my business and causing clients to not call because they will have to spend 1/2 hour with Mary for a quick question or issue.Communication is key in my end of the industry and she ISNT always communicating clearly.My clients dont want to be her coffee buddy- they want to deal with the situation at hand and move on to the rest of their day.

That being said- she IS the right person to be in my fast paced office- just need her to focus her conversations and need to find a way to constructively teach her how- hence why I thought of a customer service class of some kind.

ralph jarvis wrote:

> 1) is “mary’ getting the work done?

> 2) 1 or 2 clients have commented – out of how many that haven’t

> 3) most importantly your “vendors” should know better than to waste your staff’s time/ yourtime. even the tool salesman knows better than to waste time with techs.

>

> there have been quite a few things i have learned from what may seem like simple conversation to some onlookers/bosses

• nctransmission

May 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

Lenny,

I have to disagree. If you are worried that this person is wasting your money (by wasting time) is inconsistent with putting things away, and you’re worried that she is taking too much of your customers’ time with idle conversation then she is NOT the right person for the job.

The right person is more executive assistant, polite, courteous, and professional, but quick and to the point. You are right to identify your clientele as “c” level and understand they demand a different interaction than joe six pack.

I would suggest an intervention with Mary, with a detailed explanation of the expectations and reasonings, with a probaqtionary period of no more than 30 days. If at the end of the probationary period you still are questioning the conversations, then Mary needs to go.

If you are getting feedback from some, there are undoubtedly others who are NOT mentioning it, but feel the same.

Good luck.

• chopshopcustoms

May 17, 2011 at 11:30 am

I will disagree with your disagree

Mary IS the right person- this is a small portion of her role here- I just need to find a way to curb it and am looking for suggestions- this concern was not about her abilities but rather how to make her a better employee here.

This position is not for everyone- it is high stress , fast paced and takes someone who has administartive abilities while having a classic car restoration background.- few and far between to find.

If anyone knows of a good training class, webinar or something along that line she can attend or watch or ways to have her learn the fine art of professional communication better- Id appreciate it.

• ras

May 19, 2011 at 3:06 pm

how many people just learned from a simple conversation that Lenny’s business is a bit more “high profile” than your average maintenance and repair shop? i did! Maybe Lenny is right and maybe Mary is just a bit awe struck by the “c” clients.it maybe easier to fix your problem than you think.

imagine what would happen to a perfectly planned day if one of the top NASCAR celebs dropped by our bays. nothing would get done i’m certain!

what say you lenny? do you think Mary suffers from celeb fever?

• chopshopcustoms

May 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Its possible. More on the lines of she may want to become more friendly with them (maybe to say she ‘knows’ them)?

Not sure.

She is a bit better since one of them actually told her he ‘didnt have time for chit chat’- I think it may have hit home….

And no NASCAR clients yet!

• Tom

May 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Lenny:

You say she talks with clients. Does that mean she is selling work? If so, sales success would be one of the first things that I would look at. Sometimes employees do things that bother us, but they seem to do really well at their job.

• chopshopcustoms

May 26, 2011 at 5:01 pm

she is not selling work- she is our Office Admin